𝙴𝙸𝙶𝙷𝚃 - 𝚂𝚞𝚗𝚛𝚒𝚜𝚎

Devyns POV

I woke up to something making a bunch of noise. I looked around to see a owl staring right back at me. Almost gave me a heart attack. I looked to Pony and Johnny to see them both still snoozing. I was curled up to Ponyboy, I really don't get how I can stay in the same spot all night like this, but when I'm in my own bed I was up on the other end. Oh well. I couldn't fall back asleep, and the sun was barely even a thing. Sunrises are cool, but I think sunsets are better.

I laid there playing and halfway tracing the church with my finger. Nothing better to do and if I moved I would wake ponyboy. I kept looking outside and just seeing darkness. I hope it ain't 2am or something. After I'd say 20 minutes there was finally a hint of light appearing.

About 5 minutes passed, peacefully, until I hand a rat run right by my leg. I jumped a little trying to not touch the disgusting thing. Ponyboy moved whenever I jumped. I looked up to see him looking at me confused.

"Sorry...there was a.. rat." I said. He looked a little confused, but smiled a little. I guess that means that it's fine? He rubbed his eye and looked around for a moment. I looked outside as the sunrise was making the sky look beautiful.

"Wanna go watch the sunrise?" Pony asked causing me to look away from the window.

"Sure." I said shrugging a little. He moved his arm from around me and stood up. He held out his hand to help me up. Johnny was still sleeping as we walked out the entrance of the church. It was early enough in the morning to where we could stand there a little further from the church. The sky was so pretty, it looks like someone painted it. We walked up to a janky old fence and watched the sunrise. Nothing much happened until Johnny walked up to us. The sunset began fading away slowly.

"Man that sure was pretty, huh?" Johnny said.

"Yeah." Pony said.

"It's like the mist and stuff ya know. All gold and silver." Johnny said.

"Mh-hm." Pony responded.

"Too bad it can't stay like that forever." Johnny said.

"Nothing gold can stay." Pony said.

"Huh?" Johnny said confused. I was equally confused but Pony started explaining, I think.

"Nature's first green is gold

Her hardest hue to hold

Her early leafs a flower

But only so an hour

Then leaf subsides to leaf

So Eden sank to grief

So dawn goes down today

Nothing Gold can stay." Ponyboy said.

"Where'd you learn that. That's what I meant." Johnny said.

"Robert Frost wrote it. I always remembered it cause I never quite knew what it meant." Pony said.

"You know, I never noticed colors, clouds, and stuff til you kept reminding me about them. It's kinda like they were never there before." Johnny said.

"Yeah." Pony said. "I don't think I could ever tell Steve or two-bit, or even Darry about the clouds and sunset. Just you and Sodapop, maybe Cherry Valance." Pony said.

"I guess they're different." Johnny said.

"Shoot kid maybe you're right." Pony said. We started walking inside to the church. Ponyboy definitely still likes Cherry, I don't know why I thought for a second he might not. I followed the boys inside and we sat down on a few pews. I was getting almost cabin fever. I wanted out of here already,
we were out of stuff to occupy time. I could've fallen back asleep til Johnny spoke up.