𝐸𝐿𝐸𝑉𝐸𝑁 - 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑅𝑢𝑚𝑏𝑙𝑒

Devyns POV

I woke up a little dazed and looked around. I just woke up and already want out of here. I looked over to the clock, 9:32. This is just great. I'm stuck here for an eternity. I don't even know exactly what's wrong with me, I'll have to ask the nurse whenever I seen her. What did she say the others name was...Mrs.....Johnson?...no....Carlson..?...no...Thompson? Yeah that's it. I don't know how the schedules around here work but every 2 minutes a nurse was walking down the hall. There wasn't anything to do in here. I wonder how Johnny and Dally are doin. There both fine of course, but still...

Ponyboys POV

I woke up and looked to Soda who was still sleeping. I crept out of the bed so I didn't wake him. I walked out and it didn't look like Darry had been out of his room. I grabbed anything clean and went to the shower.

Man it felt good to actually be clean. I haven't had a shower, in like a week? Soda and Darry were still asleep so it was my turn to make breakfast. I walked out and seen Tim Shepard reading the paper on our couch.

"Hi Tim." I said.

"Hi kid." He said flipping a paper. I stood there kinda awkwardly for a moment.

"Can I get you some breakfast or somethin?" I asked.

"No." He replied. He got up taking the paper with him. "Thanks for letting me use your couch."

"Sure. Anytime." I said turning around. I went to the kitchen and started working on breakfast.

"Anybody home?" Two-bit called out from the doorway.

"Yeah in here." I said. "Don't slam the door." He slammed the door. I didn't hear nothing from them for a second which was odd. I cracked an egg and before I could do much more I was bum rushed by two-bit making me spill the eggs everywhere.

"You made me ruin my food, drop my eggs." I complained.

"Look at the blonde headed monkey!" Two-bit said laughing.

"I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it in the paper." Steve said. "Tell me Ponyboy, what's it's like being a hero, huh?"

"A what?" I said.

"A hero man, you know like a- like a big shotie." Steve said. "Beer for breakfast there two-bit?"

I opened the paper and started reading Devyn, Me, Johnny, and Dally were all on the front page. How'd they get a picture of her?

"What I like is the turn hero bit." Two-bit said.

"They're charging Johnny for manslaughter? What do they mean if she recovers? Is she alright two-bit?" I asked.

"She's fine kid, woke up last night." Two-bit said.

"Them kids, they'd have burned to death if it hadn't been for you." Steve said.

"Dallas will be mad when he hears they didn't mention his police record." Two-bit said.

"Front Page. It's all about us. Darry, me, and Soda." I said. "Now there thinking about putting me and Soda in a boys home? No way." I said throwing the paper down on the table. "They ain't putting me in a boys home."

"Oh hell Ponyboy, they don't do that to heroes." Steve said. "Where is soda and super dope anyways?"

I went into the bathroom while one of them was showering. I was wiping off my face lost in thought. They can't put us in a boys home. That would just be horrible right now.

"Shut the door." Soda said getting out of the shower. I heard Steve and Darry messing around or something out there.
"Darry you seen my DX shirt?"