Chapter 20 - Final Effort

~ Musutafu Animal Rescue Center ~ 

Third-person POV:

"That should hopefully do it," the veterinarian said as he looked over at Tsunotori and Tsuburaba, "did you prepare a cage for him?" he then asked as Tsunotori nodded and approached with a steel cart but froze when Shouto suddenly started trembling a bit. 

"What's happening─" Tsuburaba asked with audible concern in his voice, but before he even got to finish his sentence, Shouto was completely still. The veterinarian's hand quickly reached down to Shouto's nose, confirming that he wasn't breathing anymore. He then pressed lightly on Shouto's left side, just behind his front leg to feel for his pulse.

"His heart stopped..!" He exclaimed as Tsunotori and Tsuburaba both grew pale, "Tsuburaba get the endotracheal tube, Tsunotori the IV catheter─ HURRY!" he instructed as both of them scurried to get the medical tools he had asked for. 

The veterinarian quickly placed the endotracheal tube in Shouto's mouth into the windpipe as Tsuburaba prepared the ventilator that the tube connected to and upon seeing a nod from the veterinarian, he turned it on. 

The cone-shaped oxygen mask wouldn't do anymore, artificial respiration is needed now. The IV catheter was then firmly placed as Tsunotori quickly prepared some epinephrine and watched as it slowly made its way through the catheter and into Shouto's veins. 

All three of them watched anxiously as nothing happened.

~ Musutafu General Hospital ~ 

Third-person POV:

"CLEAR!" The doctor controlling the defibrillator announced loudly as everyone stepped back slightly and a high energy electric shock was shot through Midoriya's chest ─ an attempt to restart his heart. 

Aizawa had to be almost forcefully removed from the room, pulled out into the hallway, and a few moments later lead to a separate room. He wasn't being responsive, didn't answer the nurses when they tried to reach out to him and it worried them. 

"CLEAR!" The doctor announced again as another shock shortly after went through Midoriya's chest. The second attempt didn't work and the chance of restarting Midoriya's heart was steadily declining. 

Another doctor stepped in once again and started doing the thirty chest compressions, before the other doctor prepared for a third attempt with the defibrillator.

".. CLEAR!" She announced and activated the defibrillator, Midoriya's body once again jumping slightly from the electric shock. A second passed, and then Midoriya suddenly coughed violently ─ his eyes opening widely as he inhaled all the air he possibly could, causing him to cough yet again. 

Midoriya's POV:

Every single person in the room heaved a deep sigh of relief as a round of applause was happening. My ears were ringing and my mind felt like it was shrouded in a dense fog. What just happened..? Why are all these people here..?

My chest was extremely painful and it now seems even harder to breathe than before, not necessarily more difficult but just more painful. 

"Midoriya?" A female doctor with a defibrillator spoke calmly as she smiled at me, "I understand that you must be very confused, so let me explain what happened just now.." She continued to speak calmly as everyone else little by little cleared out the room. 

"Not to frighten you, but you had a severe relapse and as a result, your heart stopped. As you can see, we brought you back to us and I'll be staying here with you for a while." She explained as I slowly nodded, not quite comprehending what she was talking about but just agreeing.