Chapter 13 - The Prelude

Midoriya's POV:

"Stay behind me." Shouto said quietly through our shared telepathy as he stood in front of me, keeping his body low to the ground. At first, I didn't understand what was going on, but then I saw the silhouette and heard the voice and instantly knew why Shouto was acting like this. 

"I've finally found you~" Rin sang as his blue eyes almost seemed to glow as he pulled down his hood, revealing his black cat ears. His gaze then landed on me as he stopped walking, his lips curving up into a wicked smirk, showing us his fangs. 

"I think you have something that belongs to my master." Rin said in a low tone of voice as he glared right into my eyes. His gaze was cold and intimidating, sending a shiver down my spine.

"Shouto doesn't belong to anyone." I tried to sound confident when I said that, but the truth is, we weren't prepared for this. I could feel my frustration and anger building up at the mere sight of him, his cocky attitude didn't make it any better. 

"Hmm... That's where you seem to be mistaken..." Rin then said as his gaze almost seemed to search Shouto, "it seems that he belongs to you now..." He said, all of his attitude gone as he seemed to be thinking about something. 

"Don't provoke him, we don't know enough about his plans to act recklessly..." Shouto thought as he backed away from Rin a little further, now almost on top of me. I followed his instructions and shut my mouth, gently gripping Shouto's fur. 

I swore that I heard Rin mutter something along the lines of 'this is trouble' under his breath, but he didn't stay in this passive state of mind for long. 

"If I were you Todoroki, I'd surrender now and come along quietly..." Rin was suddenly unpleasantly calm in his body language and tone of voice, but his eyes told quite the opposite story. They were cold, devoid of life and happiness, instead only bloodlust and instinct remained, and he was staring right at me. 

I saw Shouto's fur rise a bit at Rin's behavior as he seemed to have sensed something else as well. I was about to propose a plan to try and escape, but before I even got the chance, Shouto wasn't in front of me anymore. 

I looked up just in time to see him right in front of Rin, giant claws out and teeth ready to bite Rin's read off. 

"Shouto wait--!"

"You may be bigger, but that doesn't mean you're stronger!" Rin interrupted with a laugh as he placed a strong kick to Shouto's face, stopping Shouto's jump midway as he landed on the ground with a low growl, blood slowly dripping from his mouth. 

"Die..." Shouto said with a hiss, his sharp teeth showing as he then quickly lashed out a claw, hitting Rin's leg and tearing off the skin. Rin let out a small scream of pain and instantly jumped back, trying to create some distance between them, but Shouto followed up instantly. 

"Tch..!" Rin spat in annoyance and quickly reached into his jacket, grabbing a gun and aiming it straight at Shouto's head, his finger already resting on the trigger, "BACK OFF!" Rin warned, but Shouto didn't listen as he prepared to strike again.

"SHOUTO STOP!" I quickly yelled as I saw Shouto tense up immediately as he stopped his attack and stood in front of Rin, panting a bit as he had his back turned towards me. I gave him an order... I thought and instantly regretted it when I felt his anger radiating off him even at this distance. 

Rin smirked and seemed to hold back a mocking laugh as he then whistled and not even two seconds later, I was surrounded by cats, and not the friendly kind. 

"See? You do own him," Rin then said mockingly as he calmly walked closer to Shouto and placed his gun against his forehead.

"Shouto I... I didn't mean to order you around..! I..." I thought and wanted to go to his side, but he didn't even have to say anything right now to tell me to stay away from him.