Taking An Innocent

After a long painful afternoon, I finally retired to my room. If I have to work with those stupid JSAs then I think I'm going to rip their heads off. I might just start with Vixen, who's been pissing me off from the start. Sure, the team and I might not always agree on things from the start but we always end up getting the job done. It might not have been that way for a while now but what team doesn't have a little disagreement every now and then?

I pulled the ring from my finger and held it up. The last piece of Snart I have. I won't deny that he might be able to change my mind about this whole JSA team-up but...things are just different. I heard my door slide open and Nate came in.

"Ever heard of knocking?" I asked, my eyes not leaving the ring. "I could have been changing."

Nate's eyes widened. "Oh, I didn't think about that." I rolled my eyes at his stupidity. He motioned to the ring. "Nice ring."

"Thanks. Now get out. Don't waste your breath trying to convince me to help your idiotic grandpa."

"At least he isn't a murderer like your son," he retorted. I stopped fiddling with the ring and glared at him. "Sorry, it's still hard for me to process that I'm in the same room as a werewolf. I usually thought they were just an old wives tale to scare the children. That somehow became every teenager's fantasy."

"Until they realize it's not the fantasy they want where they get to fight with a sparkly vampire. Stuff like that is really ruining our rep."

"I'm not into stuff like that. I'm more into the tale where vampires burn in the sun and werewolves turn during the full moon." Nate made his way over. My brow raised as he pulled a chair up and sat down in front of me. "Have you ever seen a vampire?"

"A few. None that I've talked to much." I gave him a sarcastic smirk as I sat up, placing the ring back on my finger. "How does it feel knowing everything about the supernatural is real?"

"Feels pretty amazing. But can I ask for you not to bite me? I don't really wanna turn every full moon," Nate joked.

"That's another myth right there," I corrected him. "I can shift at will. Our strongest is during the full moon, but come an eclipse...well, that's a whole other story I'm not telling you. And you don't have to worry about me turning you. That's something only an alpha can do. As you can tell..." My eyes flashed blue. "I'm not an alpha."

"So what are you then? A beta?"

"As of right now...I'm more like an omega. I used to have a pack back home but I had to leave them."

"Wouldn't the team be your pack then? I mean, there's the leader. Which I still don't know who it is at this point. Then the teammates would be considered the betas."

"And you do know how a beta and an omega become alphas, do you?" I asked.

"They kill the alpha," Nate answered the question like it was easy. His eyes widened again as he realized where I was getting at. "Ok, yeah, how about we have no alphas on this team."

I rolled my eyes as I got up. "I'm surprised you didn't know that since you're the history buff."

"I wouldn't call myself a history buff."

"You knew about my supposed son. The Rogue Wolf. And you knew the era the team and I were trapped in." I turned around and leaned against the wall. "That doesn't scream history buff to you?"

"There's still stuff I don't know. Like I know alpha's eyes are red. Betas and omegas are gold. But if you're an omega then how are your eyes blue."

I gave him a little nod before holding up my ring. "You see this ring?"

"The one you were playing with earlier."

"Do you know where this ring came from?" Nate opened his mouth but I cut him off before he had the chance to answer. "This came from someone I really cared about. He was a crook. A thief. He might have been helping Rip and the team but there were times he does something that benefits him. He was stubborn and a real pain in my ass. We were always at each other's throats and bickering until one day we decided to fuck it. That cold-hearted criminal somehow became someone important to me. Which was something I swore I wouldn't do but ended up doing it anyway. And guess what happened, I had to kill him."

My hand shifted into claws. 

"He grabbed my hand and wrapped it around his throat. I could still feel his skin underneath my claws. Each of them tearing his arteries. When we returned to the Waverider, my eyes were blue because I took an innocent life."

My story left Nate speechless. It took him a few minutes to process everything until he asked. "You said this guy was a crook. A criminal. You also told me once that you've killed people before for your pack."

"But I didn't feel guilty about it," I admitted as my hand reverted back to its form. "Taking an innocent life takes...something from you as well, a bit of your soul...darkening it, dimming the once brilliant, golden yellow to a cold, steel blue...Like mine." My eyes flashed blue again. "And when I took Snart's life it took my soul, too. And I'm going to be honest, I might have ended up a psychotic werewolf on a rampage if it wasn't for my friends."

"Because you guys are always there for each other no matter how much pain can inflict on another," Nate stated. He gave me a puppy dog look. "And even though you all are different you help each other out no matter how angry -" I rolled my eyes as I realize why he decided to visit. "- you get with one another and help those who need it."

"And here I thought you were just dropping by," I growled.

"I was. I wanted to see how you were doing and try to convince you to help us with the mission."

"Working with the JSA, you must be crazy."

"But it could turn into a beautiful friendship once this is over."

"Not if you die first," I retorted. "I still smell your blood. You're a hemophiliac. So that means, if your cut was any bigger then you would have been a dead man."

"But I'm not. In fact, I never felt more alive."

"Did your mommy lock you up in a bubble when you were a baby?" I joked.

"Might as well. I couldn't leave the house until I was 16. I'm a grown man. I can make my own decisions."

"You're sure not acting like it." I let out an oomph when Nate dropped to his knees and wrapped his arms around my waist. "Get off of me! What the hell are you doing?!"

"Not letting go until you agree to help us."

"Nate, I will rip your throat out if you don't let go of me."

Nate tightened his hold. "Since you know my secret, I know you won't do that. You're not a horrible person you make yourself to be."

"Wanna bet?" I growled.

His eyes widened. "Yes?" he squeaked before clearing his throat. "Another thing I've read about werewolves is that they're monsters. You've proven to me that you're not one, no matter how scary you are when you're pissed."

I groaned, seeing I've had no other option. "Fine, you win. Just get off before I make your cut bigger."

Nate shot up with a grin. "Deal."

I rolled my eyes as I started making my way out. "You really are an overgrown man child. Even worst than Ray."

Nate followed me out. "Got you to help though." I gave him an annoyed look. "So, is Snart gonna come back as a werewolf?"

I shook my head. "No. Only an alpha can turn other people into werewolves."

"Would you have turned any of us...if you ever become alpha?"

"No. I actually like most of you guys the way you are. I wouldn't want to give you guys the gift."

For some reason, Nate smiled. "Good." I rolled my eyes before I walked ahead of him. He blinked a couple of times before saying, "Wait, most of us?"