Chapter 44

Pinky, Kalyani and Jhanvi were in the living room of the Oberoi mansion. Jhanvi was worriedly pacing the room while the other two were watching her in silence when Omkara returned from work.

Watching his mother's stance, he frowned in confusion.

"Mom is there anything wrong?" he asked and got her attention.

The mother rushed to her son and said, "Did Gauri call you? I am waiting for her call since afternoon. How did the test go?"

Omkara heaved a sigh of relief.

"You scared me mom."

"Did she call you?"

"No, Shivaay called me and informed that she did good in the written test and was preparing for the interview next. So, I couldn't directly talk to her. Do not worry, she will be okay."

"Shukar hai tune bataya. I will take a class for Billu once he comes home. Why didn't he tell Jhanvi? She didn't listen to me and kept getting hyper since afternoon," Kalyani rebuked her grandson.

Pinky couldn't help an eye roll at the family making a huge issue out of a mere admission test.

What is so great about it?... she couldn't fathom.

"Did Sharada maa reach home safe?" Omkara asked.

"Yes, she did and she called me once she reached. Not like my irresponsible sons," Jhanvi passed a jibe.

"I am sorry mom. I was busy and it sort of flew out of my mind once I got back to work post lunch. I thought Shivaay called you but he must have been busy handling Gauri and his meeting together."

"Jethani ji, I don't think it is that wrong of him. I really don't understand why is this such a big deal. Gauri wants to join college and my son will make sure that she will. Whether she passes the test or not, how will it matter?"

"Pinky, she wants to do things on her own. She will be upset if she did not get through. It must have been years since she ever attempted any test and she was surely stressed," Jhanvi said.

"If you ask me, it is totally unnecessary of you to let her go. New place means new contacts and new friendships. What if she gets veered away form Omkara?"

Kalyani looked at her grandson and noted his grim look. It was not difficult to infer that he wasn't happy with the statement his aunt passed.

"Pinky, don't you think before you speak?" Jhanvi glared at her sister in law.

"What wrong did I say, it was with great difficulty that we got rid of that Karan who is obviously gaga over your daughter in law. Now if she makes someone else fall for her, what will become of your son. Think about.."

"Just shut up Pinky," Kalyani scolded, making her stop.

"My words might sound bitter but I always speak for the family's good mummy ji. I am just worried about Omkara. After everything he finally found a girl who could look past his addictions and fallacies, why do you want to test your luck more?"

"Enough, I do not want to hear..." Jhanvi started when she heard her daughter in law's cheerful voice.

"Omkara ji," Gauri called her husband and he turned around to look at her smiling face.

On seeing a happy Shivaay walking behind her, Omkara couldn't let his aunt's taunt curb down his own happiness. He walked towards his wife and took her into his arms, though he knew she would scold him for making her embarrassed before the rest of the family.

"Congratulations," he whispered as she hugged him back unlike usual.

"Thank oo," he heard her say and smiled, tightening the hug.