Chapter 51

"Gauri..." Omkara tried to initiate the talk.

By the time they started their journey back home, it was late night.

The nanny who worked for the Agarwal family lived at the far end of the city and it took time for her to reach the mansion. Since they could not leave the kids unattended, the couple had to stay till help arrived.

Gauri ignored him as she did during the past few hours. Pretending to be tired, she rested her head on the passenger seat of the car and closed her eyes.

Omkara sighed as he looked back towards the road.

It is past her usual bed time. She must be tired.... he told himself as he drove them to their destination.

Gauri's acting soon turned real and she slipped into a slumber leaving her husband to his own thoughts for the next hour.

A gentle kiss on her temple made her frown in her sleep. Her seat belt was loosened and a hand caressed her face.

"Gauri," she heard her husband whisper into her ears before he placed another kiss on her cheek.

Slowly she opened her eyes to look at her husband's chocolate brown orbs gazing at her lovingly.

Her treacherous heart melted into a puddle at the sight but her brain on the other hand, alerted her of the plan of action.

As he leaned to peck her, she drew her lips into a straight line instead of the slight part she would offer him to take advantage of, every other time.

Omkara, though he noted her unwillingness tried to offer a genuine smile.

"We are home," he said as he parted from her.

Gauri sat up straight in her seat and looked around to find themselves in their car parked in its usual spot outside the Mansion.

Nodding her head, she opened the car door and got down the vehicle. Without looking back, she increased her pace and walked inside her home while her husband tried to catch up.

As it was late, only a few rooms of the mansion were alight. Gauri quietly found her way to the stairs and into her room not caring for the man who was two steps behind.

"Gauri," Omkara called after he locked their room's door, getting privacy.

When she mutely opened the cupboard, took out a fresh change of clothes and was about to move away, her husband held her back.

She stared back at his wrist which locked hers in a gentle grip while he turned her to face him.

"Kuch hua tha kya?"

Her eyes travelled up to lock with his.

"Why are you looking upset?" he asked her.

She knew not what to answer.

Why is he acting ignorant? Did he take her to be a dumb wife who cannot realize her husband's turmoil?

As he raised his hand to touch her cheek, he urged again.

"What?" he whispered.

"You don't know?" she asked and he shook his head in a no.

A glare is what she rewarded him with, for the absolute lack of common sense.

"Thik hai phir, nothing happened."

"What does that mean Gauri. If anything happened, tell me what it is. What wrong did I do?"

She heaved an impatient sigh.

"Really, nothing Omkaraji. Aur agar hota bhi to aapko har harayi se samjh aa jaana chahiye na? Aap itna padhe likhe aur hoshiyaar hai."