004

Pilot (part 4)

"So, who wants a hit?" Marty asked as they were now inside of the university, sitting as Marty smoked some pot. 

"Yeah man--" Jax said going to grab the smoke but Stein grabbed the pot out of Marty's hand before he could get it.

"I believe you told me you were trying to quit." Stein cut him off.

"Oh, none for you, silver top?" Marty asked 

"I..." Stein trailed trying to find an answer as Sara snatched the pot out of his hand, taking a hit before passing it off to Emma who was sitting next to her who grabbed it with a shrug, looking to Marty smiling, taking a hit. "I don't partake in cannabis." Sara, Jax, and Emma all sent him a look saying 'yeah, right.' "Anymore, that is. In fact, perhaps you should take it easy."

"Ah, it helps me think better. Dad." Marty retorted and Stein chuckled sarcastically and Emma had to bite her tongue to hold back the fit of laughter as she watched the scene unfold. 

"Yes, but what about the long-term health consequences?" Stein tried again and Marty looked to the three young adults with a look that says 'is he serious?' "Speaking of which, you might want to lay off the saturated fats." Stein advised his younger self. "So, uh..." Stein starts as his younger self gave him a look "Alpha Particles. Oof." Stein said as he picked up a paper from the table "Exciting stuff. Too bad detection is at least a decade away."

"Mm. More like two decades." Marty corrected "But I've worked up a little something. Science is all about the future, right? I've developed a prototype particle tracker.  Cutting edge." Marty boasted and Emma smiled and nodded, pretending to be interested when really all she wanted to do was get the hell out of that university, but damn was Marty cool. "Probably gonna mint me $1,000,000." Mart boasted as he looked straight at Emma, once again trying to impress her, not that it was working but he didn't have to know that.

"Wow. A whole million." Emma said, faking a gasp, playing the long game pretending to be wowed as they had come here for something but were never going to get it if she didn't keep up her act since she was the only one Marty seemed to be interested in.

"Mm, be right back." Marty clapped his hands, putting down the bag of chips he was holding. "I think I've got some chocolate chip cookie dough in the fridge." Marty giggled, standing up and walking away. When Marty was out the door and out of sight, Stein stood up and started searching around the place for the particle tracker.

"I can not believe that that is you." Emma squealed a little bit "I mean, you were so cool."

"Seriously, I had no idea you were ever cool." Jax agreed

"I wasn't cool. I was an arrogant little snot." Stein disagreed as he rummaged through the drawers.

Jax let out a mixed chuckle and a scoff "Was?"

"What are you doing?" Sara asked as Stein continued searching the place

"Looking for my younger self's particle tracker." Stein replied because that is what they came here for in the first place.

"Keep an eye on the door, and when I get back, stop flirting with me." Stein said, directing the last part to Emma.

"You were the one flirting with me. I was just playing along." Emma retorted

"Look, what's the big deal?" Jax asked "I mean, younger you isn't married yet, so technically it's not cheating." Jax pointed out, him and Sara having enjoyed watching Marty try to flirt with Emma.

Stein turned around to face the three, a hand scratching at his head frustratedly. "October 1975. This is right when I meet my future wife, Clarissa." Stein tells them "So obviously, we wouldn't want my former self tempted by a sexy metahuman from the future."