015

Night of the Hawk (part two)

After the 'small' mental breakdown of Emma, Kendra, Ray, and Emma are now reunited with the rest of their team, excluding Jax, on the Waverider. 

Rip, Stein, and Leonard returned to the parlour where the others were waiting after hooking up Betty Seavers, Jax's date, to Gideon. The three -mainly Rip- explained to the waiting Legends the little information Betty gave them and what they pieced together with that little information.

"Me?" Kendra asked after Rip had finished explaining.

"Well, you and Carter." Stein corrected "4,000 years ago. The meteorite which gave you your powers appears to be of the same variety that mutated Tommy Fuller." Stein explained

"And I'm guessing it's not curable." Leonard said. Always the optimist.

"Well, I-I suppose, if the talons which lacerated her left some mutagenic residue, I could--" The Professor started to explain when the criminal cut him off.

"Yes or no?" Leonard demanded, cutting the professor off.

"Perhaps." Stein answered with an attitude, annoyed that his brilliant scientific explanation was cut off by the thief.

"Why don't you get to work on that, Martin?" Rip suggested and Stein nodded as a way of saying he was going to do it.

Before Stein left, he turned to Emma. "I could use your expertise on this, Ms. Allen." Stein said

"Okay." Emma said, all too quick to agree, which did not go unnoticed by Rip who was starting to notice the way he paid more attention to Emma's every expression, movement, and feature of her face and body.

The self hatred and fear radiating off of her body like a wildfire also did not go unnoticed by Kendra and Ray, who knew what happened, and Stein, who felt and treated Emma as if the girl was his very own daughter. That was also the reason why he asked her to follow him.  

As Stein and Emma left the bridge, the last thing they heard of the team's conversation was Sara asking "Okay, so if Savage isn't the one doing the killing, what is he doing in town?" before the two were completely deaf to what the rest of their team was saying.

"Are you okay, Ms. Allen?" Stein asked as he and Emma made their way to the med bay. 

"Fine." Emma said, lying through her teeth.

"I know you're lying. Despite only knowing you for a year, I care about you Emma. Like you are my own daughter, and I'm worried about you." Stein said, stopping Emma.

"Yeah, well don't. Because I already have a father." Emma snapped "And he's currently sitting in Iron Heights for a crime he didn't even commit." Emma said harshly in irritation "And if you need to worry about someone, then worry about Jax, not me and my problems. 'Cause God knows he needs it more than I do." With that being said, Emma whipped around and continued walking to the med bay. "Now, are we making a cure or not?" Emma called over her shoulder. 

Stein followed her with a glum look on his face. Emma's harsh words no doubt getting to him. But, it's not like she meant to hurt him because, she did care about Stein. She cared about everyone on the Waverider, even Leonard and Mick, even though one of them was gone. She just wanted him to get off her back and let her deal with her problems on her own, like she always did. But now, Emma just felt more guilty.

So now, the two worked on the cure for those who were turned into bird monsters all the while helping heal Betty, in an awkward silence. The only sounds heard were the tapping of screens as Emma worked, glass clinking, Betty's breathing, and the occasional sound of footsteps.