009

Fail-Safe (part one)

Emma was in the cargo bay, hitting a punching bag she put up when Rip walked in. Rip having been informed by Gideon that she was not listening to the AI telling her to rest. Rip sighed when he caught sight of her angrily punching the punching bag, sending kicks every once in a while. Emma simply ignored his presence.

"You should be resting in the med bay." Rip said but got no answer from the girl. "Emma." Rip said sternly.

"Half of our team is stuck in a Russian prison and you want me to rest? I don't think so." Emma said not looking up at him as she continued punching.

Rip groaned frustratedly "Emma, you almost died!" Rip shouted

"Yeah. What's new?" Emma retorted as she stopped punching and dropped to the floor and started to do push ups.

Rip scoffed "What's new is that I had to carry the dying body of my friend to the med bay. I had watch as the life slowly drained from your face." Rip said frustratedly as Emma stopped and stood up to look at him. Rip's voice softened as his eyes met hers' "Do you have any idea how hard it was for me to see you like that? I have never felt more helpless in my entire life. Not even when I found my wife and son laying dead on the ground. Because at least then, I was fortunate enough to not have witnessed them die." Rip took a few steps forward until he was face to face with Emma. He put both his hands on both her biceps. "I already lost my wife and son. I can't lose you too. And if we manage to save my family, even then, I can't lose you. You're too important to me." Rip said, tears in his eyes. 

"You won't lose me, Rip. I promise." Emma promised as she used her thumb to wipe a fallen tear from his cheek. She slowly slid her arms around his neck, burying her head in his chest as he slid his arms around her small waist, resting his chin on her head. Emma couldn't help but take in his scent. He smelt like Sandalwood and Cinnamon. It was intoxicating to Emma and Rip can only say the same.

"Sorry to interrupt, Captain, but I found the location Mr. Rory, Dr. Palmer, and Professor Stein are being held." Gideon said and Emma and Rip broke apart.

"Thank you, Gideon." Rip thanked before he turned back to look at Emma "To the bridge then?" 

"To the bridge." Emma nodded and the two made their way to the bridge together. "Am I really that important to you?" Emma asked, breaking the silence.

"Of course you are. Why would you ask that?" Rip asked turning his head to look at Emma who kept her eyes glued to the floor.

Emma shrugged "It's just, other than my parents and Barry, maybe Joe and Iris, I've never mattered to anyone. Unless you count a bunch of teenage boys stalking me all throughout high school because they can't keep their dick in their pants mattering then I guess I do matter." Emma joked and Rip chuckled just as they reached the bridge where Sara and Leonard were already waiting. Emma and Rip waled to the console, now putting on their serious face. 

"Labor Camp Number 54--formerly known as the Koshmar or 'Nightmare' Gulag." Gideon announced the prison Mick, Stein, and Ray were held. "Built in the 18th century--"

"Can we skip past the Wikipedia crap and get to the good stuff, like how to break in?" Leonard cut Gideon off. 

"Perhaps you didn't register that as a question, Gideon." Sara said from next to Emma when Gideon didn't give Leonard an answer.

"I understood, but in its 200 years of operation, no one has successfully escaped from--" Gideon replied and Rip sighed in annoyance.

"No offense, Gideon, but I never met a building I couldn't break into." Leonard cut her off again.