008

White Knights (part 2)

Emma was standing in the parlour with Stein, Rip, and Jax. Rip was pouring himself a glass of whiskey, having just explained what Time Master Druce offered him. Not only that, but Rip agreed. Emma thought that this offer was a trap. They were fugitives to the Time Masters, it didn't make sense to her that they would just offer something like this. This offer smelled of a trap that everyone in the room could smell it except Rip. 

"So, uh, what happens?" Jax asked after Rip explained the offer. "You hand over the ship and turn yourself in to the Time Masters and the rest of us just--" Jax said

"Will be returned to your former lives in January 2016." Rip cut him off, turning around to face the three members of his team. "It will be as if you never left." Rip said.

"Aside from the fact that Starling City might be part of the U.S.S.R. , thanks to our efforts." Stein said from his chair.

"All the more reason to consider their offer. The Time Council will do everything within their power to correct the mistakes that we've made." Rip said 

"But they still haven't changed their mind about stopping Savage?" Jax asked

"Well, according to them, he's part of the natural course of history, terrible as that course may be." Rip said, frustrating Jax as Emma rubbed her temples, hanging her head. "Look, I'm not saying that this offer is without its downsides." Rip said, seeing the looks on the faces of Jax, Emma, and Stein. "If we abandon our plan now, then I still lose my wife and son." 

"So why throw in the towel?" Jax asked "I thought you said that this mission was bigger than any one of us." Jax said frustratedly. 

"Yes, but if you'll remember, when I first recruited you, I wasn't entirely forthright about my motivations or about how dangerous this mission would be." Rip said, still blaming himself for the death of Carter.

"Carter Hall knew the risks before he signed on." Stein said as they all knew Rip still blamed himself.

"Hmm." Rip hummed sarcastically "Well, for the rest of you, it's now time to decide whether the future is worth fighting for." Rip said, taking a sip of of whiskey.

"You know this is a trap, right?" Emma asked once the other two had left and Rip turned his head to look at her. With her arms crossed over her chest, she walked forwards to be in front of Rip. "He wants you to bring all of us so that he can kill you all and do whatever he plans on doing to me before returning me to 2016." Emma said

"Funny." Rip said as he took another sip of the whiskey. "Mr. Rory said the exact same thing." Rip said

"Well, Mick is right." Emma said

"Time Master Druce is my friend." Rip insisted

"And friends lie." Emma said "And they betray, and they make you feel like you can trust them with your life, but once you do, they let their true colors show and you'll feel nothing but betrayal and pain for letting them in." Emma said

"How do you know Time Master Druce is lying?" Rip challenged

"Come on, Rip." Emma sighed "You're really asking me that?" Emma paused as Rip continued looking at her, waiting for her to continue. "You said Time Masters urge against marriage and procreation." Emma turned to the side "You did both. And when your wife and son died, you stole a time ship and took it upon yourself to change history when the Time Council denied your request to strike at Savage." Emma summed as she turned her head to look at Rip "We're like fugitives to them. If they don't kill us, they'll lock us up. Then what? Carter would have died for nothing, your family would still be dead, and the rest of us would never be able to go home to the families we have left. Is that really what you want?" Emma challenged turning her body so that she was facing Rip again. "I know that deep down, you know I'm right." Emma said and they were silent for a bit as Rip took in what she said. He didd know. Deep down, a part of him knew this was a trap. Rip was just too stubborn to believe that his friend would do such thing. But Emma was also his friend. A real friend who accepted him.