Chapter 1

Mirabelle's POV: May 1st: A life-altering meeting will stay with you forever.

I keep my room in moral order. On the other side, a desk with my school supplies—a detailed representation of the entire kingdom—was on the wall next to my crates, containing my secret items. In my chest, the files are divided by section. That's partially because of me, and part of it is also because of my sister. I'm an organizer and a list-maker. Chloe likes things in their place, neat and tidy. On the other hand, I am more of a free spirit. She's always been that way. I think that's why we get along so well, despite our differences.

This month, my small kingdom in France has the Starlight festival for my birthday. I don't expect perfection, but I refuse to fall behind. I was finished when there was a soft knock on the door: "Princess Mirabelle, your mother needs you outside in the royal gardens." "Thank you," said a member of our royal staff. I stated I had prepared for the day. The castle is beautiful in the mornings when sunlight streams through its stained glass window on top of the clock. There were royal portraits of members of the royal family or members of the court as you walked through the corridors at midnight, to honor my mother's story. The castle staff was composed of humans, animals, and the fairy godmother when she visited.

Our royal family is the heir to the House of Charming; each royal is in charge of their own kingdom, and our heir house is known by our surname, Charming. So my full name is Mirabella Charming, and I am the last of my heirs. Alexandra is the oldest, Chad is the middle kid, the secondborn, and Chloe's older, younger sister, who is only sixteen, is the third. I am the fourth, and my duty as a royal is to protect my kingdom, to be fair to all my people, and to always be there for my siblings.

Finding mom in the royal gardens, I wondered why she needed me until, walking further, I found her setting up the table. She might want us to eat outside like we do when it gets warm outside; it is spring. Her and the animals—the mice and birds—helped her out with the documentation while she got the food from the kitchen. I followed her into the kitchen, got some plates, and set up the table. I could tell she was excited about something, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Sniffing the fresh smell of breakfast, she cooked it. I can tell that even though she is a queen, she still likes to cook when she gets a chance. "It smells so lovely, mom." There was a wonderful garden and an exquisite pavilion in our dining room. As breakfast was being served, I had croissant eggs, and Mom and Alexandra drank some tea. Everyone was in good spirits, and we talked about our plans for the day. I was eager to explore the garden and the nearby forest, but before anyone could say anything, Dad stopped us.

He put his hand up, like he often does, when he wanted us to listen. For him to do that, it must be important, so he should not say anything else. I just listened. Dad started off with, "You all know, on mom's side, there are extended relatives. So, starting later this evening, they are going to stay with us for a while." He paused as if he were waiting for us to see our responses. To be honest, I didn't mind much, as long as there was peace. But Chloe was always the most excited about everything. But it was, and it was clear that immediately Chad wasn't pleased at all. His face was contorted with delight. into a scowl, and he kept shifting her weight from one leg to another. Even though Dad was still talking, I couldn't help but wonder what he was thinking.

I don't do well with conflict. Dad started talking again. Dizzy and Viola Drizella's youngest daughters, about Mirabelle's age, need time for your aunt to get custody of them for a couple weeks; they would stay here. It might be in time for the Starlight festival." I smiled, relieved that there was still hope for me to go. I nodded, looking at the floor. "Alright, Dad." Mom kissed me on the cheek. No need to be nervous; it will be fine. She knows me too well, not looking up when I wasn't sure what to say. We ended the talk with dad saying, "I want you all to help with the festival and be nice." When he said, Be nice, he glanced at Chad for a split second. It was almost as if he was warning him. I knew what he was thinking, but I didn't want to make things worse. Chad nodded and said, "Yes, Dad."