Chapter 12: Part 2

Finn's POV: All I wanted was to keep everyone safe. Inside the volcano, I noticed some ground. I discovered a drawing of a lion while looking through the wall. Someone must have drawn it, or the books must be in this realm, Mirabelle. The route was closed when I heard a tremendous boom surge back.

I kept traveling until I came to a village with a Roman combat arena, red roof, white and tan brickwork, and stained glass windows. a statue depicting a woman with a firebird on her shield and armor for battle. Her name was written at the bottom of the statue's title card, "Rhea." The village was much quieter than the other parts of Fantasia, but it was still quite lovely. A kingdom of volcanoes was dry, but there was a temple in Jack's test. I kept an eye out for the others who were ascending the enormous slopes while I was there. The ground shook as I fell into a pit.

There was a reason for her brother's paranoia. "Owner of the Leo Charm, nice to meet you," exclaimed the firebird that had turned into a fairy. Just a phoenix and a barren thorn was all that was present. I lowered my head and said, "That's sad what happened." While I was passing by, a few ashes from the fire dropped on my shoulder. As I brushed it aside, I noticed some solemn instrumental music playing in the background. I saw recollections as I came closer. Pops claims that water has memory, which is a scientific ability with a dash of magic. The flames' small sparks noticed something inside of them. Pops handed me a memory bubble by pulling one out with the fireproof gloves.

"I don't see why you're so surprised," the firebird fairy said. "You're the one who saved me from being burned." I took the memory bubble from and held it in my hand, feeling its warmth. "Well, you see," I explained to the fairy, "my dad was the one who taught me about memories. He said that everyone has a memory, even inanimate objects. So, when you see something that reminds you of something or someone, it's just the memory talking." The fairy nodded slowly, her wings fluttering in agreement.

In the memory, a woman stood by a lake, surrounded by other memories. "Phoenix," she said to the firebird. I'd heard good things about this place. Thank you for coming to meet me here. I discovered stuff about my father in my old childhood house and wondered if you might assist me in locating him." "A child could give you the memories showing his final sighting," Phoenix said gently, "but I cannot bring him back."

"I know," the woman said with a sigh. "But it's been so long, and I just want to see him one last time, to tell him how much he meant to me. I don't expect him to be the same man I once knew. But... I need to try." Her eyes welled up with tears, but she blinked them away, determination in her gaze.

She stepped through and found herself in a dimly lit room. A single candle flickered on a wooden table, casting eerie shadows on the walls. In the center of the room, a man sat, his back to her. She couldn't quite make out his features, but she could feel his presence. He was trapped, desperate for her to free him. She tried to break the mirror, but it wouldn't shatter. It was magical, and it was protecting him. The memories continued to flow, showing her how he had become trapped in the mirror.

Darious led us to the next place, a hill leading to a mountain with a tower nearby. "Well, there it is," he said, pointing at the tower. "That's where we're headed next. The tower is said to be guarded by powerful sky elves who can grant great boons to those who manage to reach them. We'll have to be careful though, as the path up is treacherous and filled with traps."