Chapter 19

Mirabelle's POV: When Maria called out to us, I rushed to her side to find out what she had found. She pointed to animal prints leading outside to a sliding door. The door was cracked and had a bright red carpet. Jack got closer to the animal paw prints; he focused the mirror he got from the wall and did an astral projection of the animal. Projection of a gray wolf "Are you sure it's a wolf?" I asked. She nodded solemnly.

We exchanged glances before I took a deep breath and gently pushed the door open. As it creaked open, I peered outside, my heart pounding in my chest. The night air was cold and crisp, and the sound of howling filled my ears. It was then that I knew we were not alone. Looking through the mirror and the fog, Shay mentioned, "This is like the city with the hotel; the weather is interfering with the reality of this place. There might be illusions or hidden ways here." Finn's eyebrows raised up, "which means what exactly?" Shay continued, "It means that we shouldn't be so quick to trust our senses here. Everything might not be what it seems." Finn looked thoughtful for a moment, "Right, so that means the wolf could be something else in disguise."

Maria got her bow and arrow from her bag. Delphine got a sword out, and we followed his lead through the fog, still following the animal prints, leading us to a rainy jungle. The rain made it difficult to see more than a few feet ahead, but we could hear the howling of the creature growing louder. Jack stopped for a second. "Okay, is it logical for us to be out here with a bunch of animals? We could get hurt even with magic." He had a good point, and the fairies weren't helping yet either; they were mad ever since the entire room of mirrors happened. Delphine spoke up. "We can't leave it out there like this. If it is a wolf, it'll only get worse." She paused, thinking. "Maybe we could use magic to calm it down or something?"

Dominic added, "Jack has a point." Delphine shot out, "You said you wanted to know the truth about your great, great, whatever Uncle Solomon." There was a small disagreement with me breaking it up: "Okay, let's calm down. We need to stick together. How about keeping going? If there's any sign of danger, we'll turn back, okay?" They all nodded, albeit reluctantly. We passed through a series of chambers, each more eerie than the last. Flickering torches cast grotesque shadows on the walls, which were adorned with strange symbols and crude drawings of humans hurting animals.

I asked Viola to do a reading on the language; he used his memory to analyze it. "Nothing happened." There were stains of different animals on each podium, including a black panther, tiger, bear, and elephant. Maria took a closer look at the bear and heard a voice from behind us say, "Looks familiar." Silly male voices from the back, no one was expecting a snake. The snake approached. Maria became disoriented and trod on a title on the ground. The room rotated in a circle. "It's a time trap!" Delphine yelled, attempting to sway her friends back.

Shay POV: I landed in a snake lair. How did I lose focus, mom? Always, when it comes to archery, focus is the first thing that's needed. In my daze,

When it transported me to the top of the tower of the dark kingdom's castle, I plummeted over the platform. Why am I perched so high? I didn't want people to think I was terrified, even though my heart was racing. For crying out loud, Merida's daughter, the squad is counting on me. Even though I wasn't blood-related to her, I remember her training me because I wanted to be as fearless as she was.

Back at home, I have a seventeen-year-old older brother named Ruaridh. He enjoys playing tennis. We were in foster care before being adopted. I don't recall much of it, but I recall completing chores and going outdoors to play. This became famous as a result of her making a mess, getting into trouble as a five-year-old, and being adopted by a queen. Mom instilled in me the importance of standing up for what I believed in and working hard. Throughout the years, I worked in the stable with the horses and earned my bow and arrow. I knew I had to attend Adventure Academy after graduating from Royal Prep when I met Delphine.