Chapter 2

Mirabelle's POV:  School was interesting. I go to the Academy for Adventure Royal and the Noble School for future adventurers.

Headmistress Tilly was the principal of the school and one of the best royal adventurers in Auradon. She retired from adventuring to mentor the next generation of students. The Academy has a huge library full of ancient books, maps, and weapons from all around the world. All the teachers are all former adventurers who have traveled the world and brought back fascinating stories and treasures.

Academy of Adventure combines a middle and high school into one structure. A large edifice formed a little university-like building with elaborate hallways decorated with portraits of other adventures, maps, and other school-like items. Most of my classes as an eighth-grade middle school student are on the first and second floors.

I went to my locker to get ready for my lessons, which include history, language, arithmetic, science, and creative writing, as well as some adventure subjects like sociology, geography, and magical creature information. As I walked down the hallways, I noticed that some of my classmates were already in their groups, chatting animatedly about their weekends.

My favorite class is Navigation because I like to explore new places. The Academy is surrounded by a forest, and there's a lake nearby. The teachers are all experienced adventurers who have traveled the world. They're strict, but they care about us. I have a group of friends, and we often go on adventures together. We're all interested in different things, but we support each other.

I normally take a seat in the middle row of the homeroom. You get called on the most in the front row, and in the end, no one pays attention to you. At least for me, the center row is ideal. "Hey Mirabelle, were you able to observe the stars last night?" One of my classmates, Maria, inquired about her wavy red hair bouncing off her brow. "Yeah, they were beautiful," I answered. "I wish we could go camping more often to see the stars almost all night." She nodded in agreement as we waited for our teacher, Professor, to arrive.

The professor arrived with a new student. I didn't recognize her behind her. She placed her stuff down on the desk. "Alright, students, listen up. Princess Maria, stop sitting at your desk. We have a new student." Princess Maria blushed and quickly stood up, giving a small curtsy. "His name is Dominic and he is from the Southern Isle and was adopted by the king. He will be joining your class today." Dominic waved shyly. Students whispered, "A new student is this late."

He had strawberry hair, beautiful, deep brown eyes, blonde hair, a red jacket, and a typical white t-shirt. His smile was infectious, eager to uncover what the new school held. I knew that it was my first day here or anywhere when I was the new kid, to be fair. The bell rang, and we all went to our classes. I saw him sitting in the front row of the classroom, looking around with curiosity. The teacher, a young man with glasses, introduced us to each other. "Nice to meet you all," he said, his voice soothing and warm. The other students nodded or waved in acknowledgement. As the day went on, he was friendly and approachable,

I'm hoping he's not like that. What I do know about the Southern Isle is that the royals are a flashy show voting type. France trades with them overseas, and because their kingdom is on a medium-sized island, everything is shipped by boat. So the royals are very much into fashion and appearances. They grow their own food, make their own clothes, and live in harmony with nature. The Northern Isle is more like a protectorate of France, so there's less trade and interaction between them and the Southern Isle.

I paused for a moment before approaching him. "Hey," I softly whispered. "You must be a new student." He gave me a wary glance before nodding slowly. When I said those words, he seemed to relax a little. "My name's Mirabelle, by the way." We shook as he extended his hand. His grip was solid, but not overpowering. He seemed interested, asking questions about the different subjects and professors. "Does this happen a lot? I realize I'm starting late, but Auradon Prep gave me enough credits."