Chapter 3: Self Respect amidst enmity- Part 1

The motive of attending the party took an unexpected turn when they saw their Bondita, who always talked about friendship and unity, who use to respect elders even if they were enemies, who had the talent to maintain and bind the relationships in a single thread of love, who was always in favor of the Indians and their self respect against the Brits, has now turned totally opposite from what she was. She was least bothered when her so called husband was talking rubbish about their country, their standards and the people. She was talking rudely to her Thakuma without a tint of guilt visible in her eyes. And above all she was aiming enmity against them. Anirudh thought her enmity with him and his family was some where justified and had some reason but what was the reason of getting against her own family? Was she actually now a part of British committee and plotting against the Indians whom they consider them as their Gulaam or does she have any other motive?

Jacob called the newly weds in the central area of the grand hall where a cake was beautifully arranged for the couple. Leaving the two family, Bondita went there to cut the cake with her husband. Somnath balling his fist in anger approached Anirudh and said "Dekha dada, kaisi battameez ban gayi hai ye. Hume ab bhi yaha rukna chahiye kya? Aap chaliye yaha se." "Nahi Som, hum jiss kaam se aaye hai wo karke hi jaana hai. Ladkiyon ke bhavishya ka sawaal hai. Iss officer ka koi bharosa nahi. Abhi mile hai, baadme milenge ya nahi kise pata." Saying this Anirudh went towards the central hall where Jacob was standing. While Thakuma was disappointed by her this kind of behaviour, Chandrachur who had already lost his hope to claim Bondita, was shocked to see her married. The way she was behaving was clearly indicating that she will become an obstacle in their work for which they have arrived. Now he was determined to get the work done soon and thus he was planning to impress the officer and his son before she comes in between.

"Where is this boy, Suzie?" Asked Jacob searching for Phillips. "He must be with his friends, uncle. Wait I'll get..." "Officer Fernsby" she was interrupted by Anirudh "I know I'm disturbing you but I think as per your son's condition, your daughter-in-law seems to be happy. So please sign these documents so that we can take our leave and your can proceed with your celebration" he said these lines glaring at Bondita. Jacob took the documents from his hand and asked "what's in this" he was about to read when Bondita took them in her hands and read it. After reading them she asked Anirudh "Ladkiyon ke liye vidyalay banwana chahte hai aap? Unhe shiksha ka adhikaar dena chahte hai?" To which he stared her in confusion but still nodded in a yes and by the time Thakuma and Chandrachur reached there. Bondita and Jacob looked at each other and suddenly started laughing and eventually every one around started laughing except the Roy Choudhary and Das family who looked confused. "Uncle, let's proceed with the celebration." Handing over the papers to Anirudh and giving him a smirk she continued "Mr.Roy Choudhary is just wasting our time and his as well ." To which Anirudh irked ans sarcastically asked her "May I know ki aap isse time waste kyu maan rahi hai?" To which Jacob answered "C'mon Mr. Aneerud, ye hum sab jaante hai kee yaha ke girls ko padhana is equal to playing the flute to a buffalo. Yaha ki koi bhi girls yaa unke parents maanne wale to hai nahi unhe educate karna. So why to waste your time in all these." This time Trilochan interrupted him and said "Anirudh poori koshish kar raha hai sabko samjhane ki unhe manane ki." "Zameendar Babu, hum ek ghode ko paani ke talaab ke paas le jaa sakte hai but ussy wo paani peene ke liye force nahi kar sakte" said Bondita with an evil smirk. Somnath who was already fuming in anger after seeing Bondita said "tumhe beech mein bolne ki kya zaroorat hai, tum hoti kon ho beech mein bolne wali?" "Suzie. Mrs. Suzie Fernsby hu main Dr. Roy Choudhary" said Bondita boldly. "Arrey koi Suzie nahi ho tum. officer aapko pata nahi kon hai, ye Bondita hai jo..." "Jo Mr. Anieerud ki patni thi." Said Jacob stunning both the families. "Ye wahi Bondeeta hai jo aapke ghar ki bahu thi, jispe aap sab trust karte the, jisne aap sab Roy Choudharys ko united rakha, jisse Mr. Aneerud ne Barrister Babu banaya and jispe aap sabne jaasoos hone ka blame lagaya." Said Jacob surprising others. He continued looking at Das family "Ye wahi Bondeeta hai jo aapki poti hai, jiska child marriage Mr. Chandrachoor ke saath hone waala tha but nahi hua balki aap dono families infact, poore Tulsipur and Krishna Nagar ke beech dushmani bana ke chali gayi. Am I right?" He again looked at Anirudh and said "So coming back to you Mr. Aneerud. Building school and bringing revolution is just a waste of time. Ab Ms. Kalindi Das ko hi dekhiye, aap Bondeeta ko educate karke Barrister bana na chate the but her own grand-mother was against it jiss wajah wo yaha nahi padh paayi and aapko ussey abduct karke London le jaana pada. So what will be the condition of those girls who don't even know the value of education? So forget it. Ye nahi hone wala." Anirudh was about to reply but a loud yelling of Philips from other side caught their attention.

Tupur was standing quietly in a corner as Chandrachur had warned her not to follow or be near him. She was already feeling uncomfortable as she was trying hard to hide her burnt face with her pallu. She was already feeling odd among these Brits as she is not used to these western parties. A waiter approached her offering the juice. She hesitantly took the glass from the tray and was about to turn when she bumped with Philips due to which the drink fell on his shoes. Philips shouted at her saying "You filthy Indian, can't you watch your steps. You just spoiled my expensive shoes. Ab dekh kya rahi ho, isse saaf karo." He held her elbows and pushed her down near his feet. By the time both the families and other people gathered there. Chandrachur quickly held her shoulder and made her stand. "Kya hua Tupur?" asked Thakuma and while crying she told her whatever took place. Trying to be polite Chandrachur said "maaf kar dijiye saab, isne dekha nahi hoga isilye galti se..." "dekhegi bhi kaise? Kabse sirf apna face chupane ki koshish kar rahi hai aapki wife." said Philips which made Chandrachur embarrassed and he held Tupur's wrist tightly from her back causing her pain which went unnoticed by everyone. He continued "Aap Indian ladies kar bhi kya sakti ho apne husbands ke peeche chupne ke alawa? Oh wait let me guess, ghar ki chaar diwaari mein rehna, bacche paida karna aur pati ki seva karna, right?" Insulting the ladies of his motherland was not bearable for Anirudh, so he came forward and asked "Agar hindustaniyo se itni hi problem hai aapko, toh aapne Bondita se kyu shaadi ki, Mr. Philips? Woh bhi toh ek Hindustani mahila hai." "Kon Bondeeta? Ye toh meri wife Suzie hai, jo dikhti zaroor Hindusthani hai par soch aur culture wise ekdum Britisher. Am I right, darling?" He asked turning towards her as she replied "Absolutely. Jis Bondita ki aap baat kar rahe hai usse toh aap sabne hi sanyasini banne ke raaste pe marne chhoda tha na? Toh mar chuki hai woh Barrister Bondita Das aur saath hi mar gaye uske usool, uske sanskaar, uska desh ke liye bhakt sab kuch. Aaj aapke saamne khadi hai Mrs. Suzie Fernsby, aur main koi aam Hindusthani ladki nahi hu jo apne pati ke saamne gidgidati hai, unse bheekh maangti hai. Agar koi aise sanskaar bach bhi gaye hai na, woh bhi bhula chuki hu." As she turned around she saw a file kept on the table, looking at it suspiciously, she went towards it excusing herself.

__________________________

Hey guys!
Hope you like this part for which I had to rewatch those Greenwood's party episodes. Now lemme go n wash my eyes🙈 by the time if you like the chapter do turn the star orange. And comment down below your views.

Part 2 will be updated by tomorrow.

Love,
Ammy💜