Chapter 32: Unpredictable Tales and Victor!- Part 1

London

Bondita entered the small mansion where they stayed. A cottage house located nearby their college where few boys stayed as tenant along with a lady caretaker who was in her 60s. Thus Bondita could visit that place freely. She saw him standing near the window holding a card. She walked meekly by her toe and peeped over his right shoulder to read that card. He was too tall for her to peek over "Ye kya hai?" Her sudden question made his heat skip a beat bringing him come out of his thoughts. "Bon! You scared me." She snatched the card from him and it was a wedding invitation.

"Ohh..." Bondita exclaimed dramatically sensing his irritation after reading it. "Ahem..." She deliberately cleared her throat before reading it out "You are warmly invited to the MARRIAGE CELEBRATION of..." she paused as she saw the groom's name to whom her friend's marriage was fixed "Mr. Danial Fernsby! Ye toh wahi Colonial Administrator Jacob Fernsby ka beta hai na? Liz ki shaadi issey hone wali hai? Wow!"

She teasingly raised her sight from the card only to find him with a frown formed on his face. "Relax Pratham. Bondita ke hote hue kal Liz ki shaadi kisi Fernsby ke bete se nahi, tumse hi hogi." She said with chuckle. "But I'm worried for you Bondeeta. Inn sab ke beech tum na phas jaao." He said with a genuine concern. "Don't worry. Jab tak Dugga maa aur mere Shikshak Babu ka Aashirvaad hai mere saath, I have nothing to worry. Dekhna, tum dono ka pyaar hi jeetega." to which he smiled and went to get the 'haldi' for his bride. Bondita followed him and continued "Aur tum bhi na, har baat ko zyaada hi seriously le lete ho. Bilkul mere..."

"So-um-natt dada ki tarah. Right?" He interrupted between and completed her statement forwarding her the tray of his turmeric that was covered with a red cloth. Bondita took the tray and corrected him "It's, Som-nath Dada. By the way, itne saalo mein bohot acche se jaan gaye ho tum, Liz aur Amartya mujhe. Aur ek main hu, mujhe tum logo families ke baare mein zyaada kuch nahi pata." She said with a pout.

"Kaise pata hoga. You never gave us a chance to speak. Everytime you come up with 'mere sakha babu is this... mere sakha babu is that' " he said with a laugh and continued "but jo bhi ho, in all these years we know you more than you may know about yourself. Whatever you're thinking, whatever you're going to say, your craze for justice. Miss Pagol Bangali."

She kept her left hand on her waist, right arms holding the tray she said with a smirk "Apne isi hi craze mein, kayi baar main kuch aisa kar jaati hu, jo kabhi maine khud socha nahi hoga. You know, kaafi unpredictable hu main. Kya pata uss Fernsby ke bete se main hi shaadi kar padu." She completed with a laugh but he held a serious expression. He knew it was just a joke or a slip of tongue but it worried him. "Bondeeta! Don't even think about it. Tum unhe jaanti nahi ho." She stopped laughing and asked "Kyu? Tum unhe pehle se jaante ho kya?" To which he stammered and suddenly asked to divert the topic "Ah... just leave that. Tum ussey toh mil lo jiske liye mainly yaha aayi ho." This made her eyes lit up and went to other side of the house while he exhaled to sigh of relief.

As soon as she reached the spot where she saw him, she excitedly called out "Victor! Look who's here."

"