twenty-five.

the results of the soloist within the dance team's routine finally came out. minho and hyunjin hesitantly stared at the email, not wanting to open it.

the rest of the group was in there with them, just as anxious. they knew their friends were the best dancers and surely one of them got it.

mustering up the courage, minho finally clicked it as changbin read it out loud from behind him.

"the soloist will be hwang hyunjin! congratulations and good job to all other dancers who auditioned."

cheers erupted in the room and bodies flew to give hyunjin hugs. hyunjin's smiling eyes connected with the other dancer's and his smile slowly faded. minho sat there lazily clapping with little to no emotion present within his expression.

everyone quickly caught up on the mood shift as hyunjin could no longer find it within himself to keep smiling. felix, being the sweet angel he is, tried his best to lift spirits once again.

"hyunjin! i knew you could do it, you're going to be amazing when you perform! i just know it!"

"that's unexpected." minho bluntly said making everyone turn to look at him with confused expressions.

"u-unexpected?,"  felix said with an awkward laugh "what are you talking about?"

minho didn't meet felix's eyes as he continued to place his focus on the long-haired boy in front of him.

"you getting the solo, that's unexpected." he repeated, clarifying his words, but he didn't really need to.

"minho-hyung..." jeongin sadly said in disbelief that he could ever say something as harsh as that. ever since he has known them he has only ever seen love and support. this weird feud is something completely new.

"says the one who couldn't even get it."  hyunjin spat back with a look of distaste, though minho's expression didn't change as he remained stone-faced.

before more hurtful things could be brought up, chan clapped his hands together to gain everyone's attention.

"we're leaving. you two need to stay here to figure whatever this," chan motioned at the two, "is about. you guys are better than this."

chan stood and walked to the door as the others hesitantly followed. the other six left, confused about what has gotten into them. they were always so close, what's going on?

the two sat in heavy silence for a while before hyunjin spoke.

"shouldn't you be happy for me?" bitterness weaved into every word.

"oh i am! just sooo happy for you. ecstatic even." minho replied, so much sarcasm it made hyunjin feel sick.

"when the fuck did you become so petty? who the hell are you?" hyunjin said as he stood up from his spot, running a hand through his hair.

"it's still me, i'm just tired of you always getting whatever the fuck you want. the world isn't yours, you know."

"and seungmin isn't yours."

silence.

minho froze in his spot, eyes widening as they stared at the floor.

"well of course he isn't. why bring him up all of a sudden?" minho said with a scoff.

"oh please. it's obvious that you want my boyfriend so bad."

this caused minho to stand up in his place, eyebrows furrowing. his eyes finally met hyunjin's, whose eyes were filled with anger.

"i don't know what the hell you're talking about. this is about the dance solo."

"is it minho? because i have a feeling it's about a lot more than that."

"you do tend to make everything a bigger deal than it is, so i'm not surprised you wanna do that to this too."  minho said with a condescending look. minho knew he should stop talking, hyunjin is his best friend. this was hurting his heart knowing he was spouting complete lies.

hyunjin laughed, though minho couldn't tell if it was in disbelief or in pain. probably both.

"you're really just saying anything now, aren't you?  okay, let's just say i am making this a big deal. doesn't change the fact that it really sucks for you, huh? knowing that seungmin is all mine."

he was rubbing it in and minho hated it. yes, he was in love with his boyfriend and that's horrible as it is. but, he can't control who he catches feelings for.

"are you sure about that?"

"i'm sorry?"

minho shook his head, afraid he'd say more if they continued to fight like this. he turned towards the door and started to leave without another word.

he felt a hand on his shoulder and was spun back around to face the younger.

"no, tell me what you meant by that."

it wasn't just anger now. hyunjin's once bubbly eyes were full of pain and confusion. the grip on minho's shoulder got weaker the longer the silence.

"it didn't mean anything, hyunjin. i just said it to say it."

minho turned back around and walked to the door, just as he was about to open the door, he heard hyunjin weakly speak.

"liar."

the word hurt minho's heart, even more so considering it was true. he's been lying to his best friend all along.

minho decided to say no more before opening the door and leaving. the action ultimately confirmed all of hyunjin's fears. his best friend is in love with his boyfriend, and his relationship is unraveling before his eyes.
______
a/n: kinda mad at minho in this chapter tbh even though i wrote it (not proofread)

also! a reminder that being angry isn't an excuse for people's words and actions and they should be held accountable for them! know what you deserve besties