𝟐𝟏| 𝟏𝟒𝟎𝟏𝟒𝟔: 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧'𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐝𝐢𝐞. 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭, 𝐫𝐚𝐲?

"𝐈'𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐞 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞. 'What should I be doing for Norman's sake?' and the answer was to do nothing. Mom told me to give up and free myself from the pain I felt. But that simply isn't how I go. I will always refuse to just 'give up'. I won't let his death be in vain. Will you?"

     Ray chuckled and set his book down, "it seems like both of us are on the same page then."

     "Let's run away. I came to talk about that."

     "I wanted to talk too. For the past two months, we couldn't communicate since we were afraid Mom would see."

     "Yeah, I didn't want her to know our true intentions. So I stayed quiet."

     "True intentions..?"

     "Right. Mom's really cautious. Even though the three of us weren't doing anything, she still watched us. But that's something that we can use against her. If she stays focused on me, then I can keep her eyes away from the other kids."

     "Don and Gilda, huh?"

     "Mhm. I left them in charge. They're training the others and making preparations."

     "How far along are you?"

     "It's all ready. There's warm clothing, supplies, and food. We can leave whenever."

     "That's impressive. But how will you escape?"

     "Oh, don't worry, I have it all planned. Let's run tomorrow morning. Before you get shipped out."

     "Hold it, that's dangerous. Things are a lot different now. The escape should be at night when it's easier at night."

     "Ah-"

     Ray stuck his hand out, "just hear me out. You should sit down." The boy pulled out two seats and sat down, "okay then, there are two problems here. First, Mom's watchful eyes. She's always watching us and tends to be holding the younger ones during the day. And at night, she put the babies asleep in her room. In order to make sure everyone escapes here, we'll have to separate Mom from all the little ones. Next thing is the cliff that's past the wall. We're not able to climb down it. If we're getting out, we'll have to take the only bridge that's available. I'm sure there's already security and once they know we're gone, the guards are going to rush over. It's at the edge of the headquarters, those monsters are going to be all over the place. Knowing that, what will you do? I have the answer right here."

     Ray got up to open the box on the table next to him, "oil?"

     "We'll just set the house on fire."

     "You're going to start a fire?"

     "That's right, while Mom is distracted trying to put it out, we'll pretend to evacuate everyone. We'll block the door to the secret room beforehand so that Mom can't get in. HQ will assume it's only a fire. So security won't be tight on the bridge. And you can escape easily. As a bonus, I went ahead and hid tem molotovs behind rocks in the forest."

     "Wait, you what?"

     "Don't underestimate how much I've prepared. Now, when you're heading to the bridge, throw these into the plants that are next to ours. It'll spread security even thinner. The forest will be empty since it's dark, so no one should die," Ray held his hand out for Y/n to take, "so instead of tomorrow, let's leave right now. Can you do it, or not?" Y/n looked down reluctantly, not knowing what the cons to his plan will be, "don't worry, this place is pretty far from everyone's rooms. None of them should be caught in the fire. They've trained for this, haven't they? What we taught them during tag... Wait, is your leg still hurt?"

     Y/n immediately got up without picking up her crutch, "it's all healed," then, she stomped on the floor. Ray couldn't help but quietly panic as if she was lying, then he relaxed, realizing it was truly all better.

     "It's settled," Ray uncapped the oil and turned around.

     Y/n got an uneasy feeling in her stomach, "Ray..."

     "But to be honest, I'm still against it," Ray poured out the oil on the floor, "the whole idea of taking the other kids along. Especially knowing that there's a cliff beyond those walls. What I think is, you should take Don, Gilda, and Emma. At least leave the babies here if anything. It's the best thing for them, and for you. However, I already know you're not gonna listen. Though, I guess I'd rather you do that than not escape, so I wont harp on it. It's your choice." Y/n's uneasiness increased as Ray dropped the oil can, "why are you still here? Go tell the others."

     "About your plan..."

     "Hm?"

     "We're throwing molotovs?"

     "Yeah, could be you, maybe Don."

     "Actually, what I'm most concerned about is, what if once we start the fire, Mom decides to abandon the whole building? She might just give up on putting it out and focus on us since we're the merchandise."

     "Exactly," exactly what?, "there's a pretty good chance of that happening. That's why simply starting a fire isn't enough. We've gotta make sure we stop her, 'cause there won't be an opportunity later. But don't worry, there's always this." Ray uncapped another tin of oil. I'm pretty sure two was enough. Y/n's uneasiness increased as Ray's arm lifted. Suddenly, the flammable liquid was pouring on his head.

     "Ray!" Y/n gasped. 'You'. He always said 'you'. Not 'we', or 'us'. 'You'.

     The boy laughed, "pretty smart thinking, huh? I'm gonna burn to ash on my shipment date! Mom can't abandon me! I've been waiting for this day. I decided this years ago and it's finally time to act it out. This is my retaliation." Y/n gasped, "you know, Y/n. When it came to all that studying, I was never really into it. Regardless, I did it. To prove my value. And I wanted it to be the highest possible. For fifteen years, I've been the feat they've all been waiting for. Tonight I'm taking that away, right before that anticipated harvest! 'Don't think you can eat me! I won't give you that satisfaction. Food? Product? Yeah right!' This is gonna show them all that I'm human!"

     "Ray..." Y/n whimpered in fear.

     Ray saw how scared she was, Y/n was practically trembling, "I'm sorry Y/n. But I need to do this. It's the best way, the only way. I've watched so many of my siblings die over the years. I used them. And each one of them was a good kid. They were so kind and carefree..."

     "Wait!"

     "Don't move! Listen, Y/n. You only have one chance, so make this work. Norman and I gave our lives for this. I'm begging you, don't waste it. Catch," Ray tossed her their favorite book, 'The Adventures of Ugo' and she opened it to find pictures. Some of them were of her, some of them were her and Ray, and others had Emma and Norman too.

     "Ray..." her eyes teared up as the grandfather's clock bell rang.

     She gasped when the sound of a match getting lit caught her attention, "I'm finally fifteen. It was a life I wanted out of, but I cherished the time I spent with you guys."

     Y/n reached out, "no, please!"

     "I'm sorry, Y/n. Thank you. For everything. Thank you for making my life the happiest it could be, I love you... so much," it was as if everything was in slow motion, Ray dropped the match while Y/n dashed for it, trying to stop it in any way she could. 

--------------------------------------------

𝐡𝐞 𝐯𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐫

--------------------------------------------