𝟐𝟖| 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭: 𝐫𝐮𝐧. 𝐫𝐮𝐧 𝐟𝐚𝐬𝐭. 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐫𝐮𝐧 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐟𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭.

𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐩𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐜𝐤𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐡𝐚𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐞𝐭 𝐨𝐧 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐥𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠. Run. "Ray, what is that thing?! Is that in the book too?" Gilda asked.

   "No, there's nothing! This must be a demon!"

   "A demon?"

   "So that's... that's what a demon looks like?" Don mumbled.

   "Yes, I'm sure," Emma huffed, "but the monsters that I and Norman saw walked upright like humans! They even talked!"

   "Yeah, the ones in my early memories were like that too," Ray nodded while Y/n was freaking out inside. This was her first encounter with a demon.

   "They didn' have tails and always wore those hideous horned masks. They had clothes too!"

   Y/n's head spun. The six legged demon with over twenty eyes chased them at full speed. She was trying to come up with solutions but fear was blocking her mindset. "Agh!" The girl shouted as she tripped over the unleveled ground.

   "Y/n!" Ray caught her hand and tugged her, pulling her forward and up right, "stay focused."

   "Is this demon one that came from the farm to catch us?" Mark asked.

   "No!" Nat yelled, "it's not from the farm! It want's to eat us all right here!"

   Emma nodded, "exactly! This isn't them yet! If it was, it would treat us like merchandise, not attack us like that! They would never."

   "It's a different kind of demon, unrelated to the Grace Field plantations."

   Don huffed and thought of a solution. He jutted his left arm out, a signal they had once used in their games of tag, "tsk. We're not food!" Half the group ran with Don and Gilda where the other half went down another path. Then, Gilda split off with the children who couldn't run as fast, buying them some time. "It's here! Ready? Everybody, run and don't look back! Just run!" Ray watched as Don and Gilda made calls that he'd never think they'd make. He definitely underestimated how much they trained just for this. "That's right, everyone! Keep bringing it to these narrow paths! Let's make it eat our dust!"

   Y/n smiled triumphantly, proud of how brave and smart her siblings were. She was always hopeful about their survival in the real world, but with their tactics, she was sure they'd all make it out alive.

   "Ray, Y/n. Everybody's doing fine. Let's deal with the demon right now!" Emma stated.

   "How, exactly..?" Ray asked.

   "Well, we can think of it on the way..."

   "Jumping in without a plan again!?"

   Y/n smiled, "she's still making the right call, Ray. The demon won't let up and the kids are getting tired. Emma is too and the far handlers aren't even here yet. We can't afford to play around with this thing."

   The three made it to a place where they could see sunlight, "i think there's a chance here."

   "Oh! You mean.." Emma put the pieces together.

   "Yeah, get it to fall in the killing tree trap."

   "Roger, then let's split and..."

   "No, I'm doing it alone."

   Y/n's jaw dropped and she turned to him, "Ray, you can't still be thinking of... No! I won't let you!"

   "No, it's not that. I'm not about to make a heroic sacrifice or anything. I'm only taking care of this because I'm confident I can do it."

   "Ray..." Emma muttered.

   "Which one of us could win in a tag challenge?"

   "You..."

   "Right, so trust me. I promise I'll catch up! Wait ten seconds after I go, then find Gilda's group and lead them. As fast as you can. Got it?"

   "Okay!" Emma and Ray split directions, determined.

   Ray became confused when he heard a second pair of footsteps. He looked behind himself to see Y/n, "Y/n! You! Go with Emma!"

   The girl shook her head, "no!" She took his hand and gave him a scary look, "I'm not letting you do something so dangerous on your own."

   He shook his head and smiled, "you're so stubborn... Okay, let's grab it's attention and lead it to the trap."

   She nodded, following him to the monster, "Come, then. We're here." The demon turned around slowly while the two backed up. They bursted into a sprint, "come get us!"

   Y/n and Ray sped through the trees, and jumped over the roots. They led it back to where they spotted the trap, the sunlight letting them know they were close, "we're almost there, Y/n. Just a little more..." As the two were about to reach the trap a loud whooshing sound along with a loud roar. The beast dropped to the ground and its head rolled down towards them.

   Their eyes widened and Ray dragged Y/n behind a tree, putting his finger over his mouth. A strange, unfamiliar voice spoke on the other side of the tree, "found them."

--------------------------------------------

𝐡𝐞 𝐯𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐫

--------------------------------------------