𝟑𝟔| 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭: 𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐫 𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐫 𝐩𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐬 𝐨𝐧 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐞..?

"𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐰𝐞 𝐝𝐨?" Y/n whispered to herself, "this is really B 06-32..."

   "What does it mean?" Gilda asked.

   Thoma frowned, "there's nothing here!"

   "No sign of any kind..." Don grumbled, "nothing at all.."

   Nat had a pair of binoculars and Ray was next to him, "so, can you see anyone in the area? Any humans?"

   "I think there's no one."

   "So Minerva isn't here, after all?!" Alicia shouted.

   "Liar, liar, pants on fire!!" The younger children cried, "he said he'd be here! He told us to come visit! And we came all the way!"

   They huffed as Ray crossed his arms, "feel better now?"

   "Yeah!"

   "Then calm down and listen. If Minerva is the one going back and forth between the worlds, then he won't always be on the demons' side. And even if the demons usually avoid these deserted areas.. Imagine if humans just stood around like sitting ducks. Or if they left obvious signs, they wouldn't last long, right? Y/n, can I see the pen?"

   "Of course, here," the girl said as she handed him the pen.

   "Yesterday, we found out about the next part. The contents of the pen go on after what we had seen."

   "What did the next part show?" Gilda questioned.

   Y/n smiled a little, "nothing at all. To be clear, nothing we could see."

   "What do you mean?"

   "We couldn't access the rest of the data. We are sure we put in the right answer, but even then... No matter how many times we tried, we could only see as far as Minerva's message from before."

   "Ever since way back then, when Norman didn't leave Emma clear instructions to memorize it all... I've been wondering whether that extra information was something we'd only need once out in the field, "Ray added, "but that wasn't it. I got it wrong. Norman, too, couldn't access the data in that house. I think that's because the pen will only show the next part once you bring it to a certain location."

   "You mean..." Emma started.

   "Exactly. Here in B 06-32."

   Y/n opened up the book, "let's give it a try."

   "First..."

   Alicia and Dominic smiled, "page forty five, line three, third word!"

   "Right! Years."

   Ray put in the code only to be brought to another code, "now let's see. This is the part where it only showed an error message. Page one hundred eight, line fifteen, first word."

   "History."

   Eugene and the other children prayed, "the word is 'history'! Please work!" Ray hit the button to enter the passcode. Instead of a message or coordinates, a huge map popped up. "It worked! But... what's this?"

   "It's a map," Ray huffed, "there's an underground entrance! It's around that area, go look for it!" The children ran in different directions, surveying the area to see if they could find it.

   Y/n looked around, trying to see if somehow their surroundings changed. To her surprise, they did, "Ray! Look, somethings happening!" Behind her, a vault had begun to open, dirt and rocks being kicked up to reveal a hatch.

   "Stay back guys..." Ray warned as he slowly twisted it. He peeked in once it was opened and nodded, "I'll go first."

   "It really was here after all..." Alicia smiled, "he wasn't lying!"

   Y/n climbed down the ladder second and Ray held her hips once she got close enough, making sure she didn't fall, "thanks..." A rose tint dusted her cheeks as she turned around, ready to help everyone else make it down safely. "All right! Let's go!" Y/n and Ray led the group while Emma trailed behind with the more skeptical children. They reached an arch way which led to a long hallway of doors.

   "This is... An underground shelter for human beings..?" Ray asked himself.

   As they were looking around, Jemima tugged on Y/n's sleeve, "Y/n! I heard somebody behind that door!"

   The girl nodded and approached the door, putting her ear up to it, confirming that there were noises behind it. She knocked twice before slowly opening it.

   At the opposite side was a man who looked disheveled... or old... or both. In his hand was a teacup and on the table were a tin of cookies. His feet were propped up on the table and he kept his gaze narrow, "hi there." Y/n gasped and stared at the man. "You've come a long way. Congrats... and welcome to shelter B 06-32."

--------------------------------------------

𝐡𝐞 𝐯𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐫

--------------------------------------------