𝟒𝟓| 𝐬𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐡 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐫𝐯𝐚: 𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐢𝐝𝐧'𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩, 𝐬𝐨 𝐰𝐞'𝐥𝐥 𝐝𝐨 𝐢𝐭 𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞𝐬.

"𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐚 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐢𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞!" Mister laughed, "what a wonderful sight!"

   Ray gritted his teeth, "you crazy bastard..."

   "And you're one to talk? Sorry, kid. You did better than I expected... so I just had to spice things up, y'know? Welp, guess y'all gonna die, but try and do your best anyway! I'll be around, watching the show! When one of you drops dead, I'll come save the others."

   "Mister!" Emma shouted.

   Ray huffed, "forget it. He said he's watching, so he'll be close. This won't endanger our family in the shelter and we're not losing the guide, either. So concentrate only on how to get through this!"

   "Ray!" Y/n yelled, "they're climbing up here!"

   "This way!" He ran on the branch of another tree to get a vantage point, he shot the branches of the other trees which made them crumble and the climbing demons were sent back to the ground. "Emma, use that gun now!"

   "Which bullet?!" She asked, pulling out the four barreled pistol.

   "The green one! Fire!"

   She shot the bullet, a large net spreading over the demons and trapping them under it. "They're tied up!" Y/n cheered.

   "Good! Now hurry!"

   They ran, hopping from branch to branch when Y/n looked back to see the demons eating one of their own to get out, "they're already free! Here they come!"

   Ray put countless bullets into them, only for the skin to grow right back, "they're regenerating!" Emma shot the tear gas bullet but it didn't even seem to faze them.

   Mister watched, "if you can't kill them... you're just wasting bullets," he said to himself.

   "Dammit! There's no end to this!" They only could run, shooting bullets one after the other and trying to think of a solution. Ray was deep in thought when a demon cut them off.

   Y/n's mind raced with ideas. They're going through ammunition like crazy and it's barely affecting them. The tear gas worked a little, but they just keep coming. One after another... with this many demons raging after it, we could shoot all we have and it still wouldn't make a difference. Our only ammunition is decreasing in numbers. No matter how much you shoot, they just resurrect in a second. What's more, every time their bodies change... Just what are these creatures after all? No way around it, they are immortal monsters. That one was dead enough. When I heard Sung-Joo's stories, the thought crossed my mind. Humans who killed demons... and a thousand years ago no less. With technology of that time. Therefore, there has to be a way that even we can kill them! But how? They must be decapitated? No, that's wrong too. Even that man wouldn't be able to cut off their head with our gear, right?

   "Ray! This way, quick!" Y/n shouted. He tripped over one of the stone tree roots and the demon grabbed his body.

   Think, think. I saw it that time. How did he- Ah! It must be... I see, they use masks to- "Guys!" Y/n turned around, to look at the demon but saw Ray on his stomach, "shoot for the eye! The one right in the middle of the face!" Y/n pulled out her bow. This should be enough. She aimed, focused, and let go of the sting. The arrow landed right where she wanted it to. With a growl, it fell off the tree.

   "He's not rising!" Emma yelled.

   Ray got up, "great! Run! Get away!"

   Y/n smiled to herself, "focus on escape and limit your attacks to the minimum to survive! Let's get into the territory of other demons! The way Mister talked implies that there are different species. If two packs crash into one another, they might forget about us! If we can pull tht off, we'll just continue as planned until we reach a safe area!"

   "Got it!"

   They hopped from branch to branch, leading the demons closer to what should be another nest. On the way, they were able to kill two more demons and the rest were taken care of by another pack. They were so distracted with each other the children managed to make an escape to a safe area where no demons should be near.

   "Good work," Mister smirked, "oh boy, I can't believe it! You really managed to escape their territory all by yourselves..."

   Y/n panted, "excuse me, Mister, but... we're alive. Chumps or not... we're still alive."

   "Right."

   She smiled and walked away, sitting next to Ray. He was counting his ammo, "good job on figuring out how to kill them. I was trying to figure it out too, but you got there before I did."

   "Well, thanks to Sung-Jae and his stories, I was able to figure it out." She leaned her head on his shoulder and let herself relax just for a few moments.

   "I ended up using more bullets than I wanted... I only have thirty three left. It's only day one of this trip. We're aiming for a four day tip just to get there... it'll take seven days until we're back, at the very least. Seven more days... still seven days to go and only thirty three bullets left... I can't do it."

   Y/n smiled, "I know you can. As we go, your aim will improve and you'll spend less bullets for each kill."

   "Exactly," he looked into the sky, seeing some of the stars shine, "it's getting late and it looks like the bastard's asleep. Emma's knocked out too. We should rest."

   "Yeah," she yawned, "let's sleep."

   He didn't remove her head from his shoulder, he simply rested his head on hers, "goodnight, Y/n."

   "G'night..."

--------------------------------------------

𝐡𝐞 𝐯𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐫

--------------------------------------------