4

Lena Boggs

          "Okay, but all I am saying is that Topper isn't always such an asshole." Sarah shrugs as she leans back into John B's arm, crossing one of her legs over the other before passing off the joint that JJ rolled perfectly to Kiara.

John B clicks his tongue, looking down at his stoned girlfriend. "You know, I am not sure how I feel about you defending your ex-boyfriend." He says, annoyance clear as day in his tone. Sarah raises her hands in defense, "Hey now! I'm just stating that although yes, Topper can be an asshole, he isn't always the worst person."

I take the joint out of Kiara's hand, placing it between my lips as I listen to Pope disagree with Sarah, taking John B's side. Immediately I feel a buzz in my head as I cough into my arm, shaking my head. "No, I agree with Sarah. Yes, Topper is a dick, but he does have some moments where he can be somewhat tolerable." I hand off the weed to Pope.

"Oh come on Lena! You're a pogue, you're supposed to be on my side." John B whines, I giggle as I lick my dry lips. "John B, Topper did help me when Rafe was trying to come onto me. What do you expect me to say?" I sighed, a slight chill running down my spine as I remembered the night Rafe tried to get me to sleep with him after a party at the boneyard.

"Okay, I got to agree with Lena on that one guy." Kiara muttered, "Saved our girl from a fucking assault." Kiara smiles sadly at me, but I just give her a reassuring side grin and turned my attention outside.

I stand from the couch and make my way outside, everyone too stoned to notice. JJ had his back turned to the house as he finished cleaning off Big John's boat. I made my way towards him at the end of the dock, "Almost done JJ?"

JJ faced me and grinned. "Someone's a little baked, isn't she?"

I stuck my tongue out at him before almost losing my balance and falling into the water. "Careful there Lee B. You're very clumsy when you're stoned." JJ laughs at me as I place my legs over the edge of the dock, daggling them and smiling up at him.

JJ rolls his eyes as he sits down beside me, I couldn't help but let myself think about how beautiful JJ's eyes looked when the sun was shining on them. "I bet your wishing you were watching a serial killer movie right now, aren't ya?"

I giggle as I turn to face the view in front of us, "And what about it?"

JJ nudges me. "You're little obsession with serial killers is scary to me."

I smirk towards him. "Well you better watch it, I know how to kill you and hide the body." I joked making JJ gasp before he chuckled. "As long as the last sight I see is your fine self, that's fine by me Lee B."

I blush hard as I look down at the water, before I could even think, I was spitting out word vomit. "Can I ask you something JJ?'

"Anything, Lee," JJ assures me, I could feel his stare on the side of my face as he waited for my question. "Is-Is something going on with you and Kie?"

Silence fell between us, a silence that almost killed me. "U-Uh," JJ stuttered, and I felt a burning in my throat at his lack of response. "What do you mean?" He finally says, but something in me wished that he didn't say anything at all because that response was worse than no response.

He didn't deny that something was happening, which always confirmed that something was. Whether it was romantic, or just physical. I know JJ, I hated that I knew him so well because maybe if I didn't, I would be able to keep pretending that nothing was there.

"Lena, JJ!" Pope calls from John B's house, mentally I thank him because it gave me a reason to drop this conversation.

I force a smile as JJ offers me a hand, which I accept as he helps me up. We're standing with our chests almost touching when I am back on my feet, I watch as JJ's eyes fall to my lips. I mimic his action, looking down at his lips and sucking in a small breath.