16

Sarah Cameron

It wasn't until around three-thirty that Lena got called in to see her Mom. And none of us left. We stayed there in that waiting room until Lena and her Dad would get called in by the doctor earlier, and as we waited... I witnessed a lot.

Lena's father, Logan, sat on the opposite end of the waiting room staring at nothing. Lena hadn't made any attempt to speak to him or to look his way.

As we waited for the doctor to call Lena and Logan in to see Coreena, no one spoke. I sat with my head leaning against John B's shoulder, eyes switching between staring at where Lena sat with Ayden, and JJ sat with Kiara.

Lena wasn't all here and it was easy to tell, barely acknowledging the way that Ayden tried to hold her hand. I could tell it kind of made Ayden anxious as he looked towards JJ, whose eyes never left Lena the whole time we waited.

He stared at her like he was waiting for her to fall apart so he could pick up the pieces, his eyes, every so often, looking towards the brunette sitting next to Lena and I watched as the jealousy and envy flashed across his face before he turned his attention back to the floor, only for a short second before they found their way back to Lena.

It was irritating to say the least, watching JJ look at her like the girl he had been flirting with for the whole month wasn't sitting right next to him with her arm linked with his. It was also irritating because I knew how much Lena loves him, and as I watch the way he stares at her I could almost swear that he loves her too.

I was torn over what to be mad about. The fact that JJ has been hurting my best friend or the fact that he's staring at another girl while my other best friend is right beside him.

I sigh as I look back at Lena, who slumped back into her chair with her fingers pressed to the side of her forehead. She looked so defeated, so lost and it tore me apart. She has been going through so much, and I knew that even though she had Ayden right beside her... She much rather have the one she really wanted, rubbing her back and telling her she could sleep on his shoulder if she needed to.

It killed me to know how much Lena Boggs wanted JJ Maybank because I know that what JJ has offered her in the past, is nothing compared to what she truly deserves. Lena's the type of girl you don't come across very often, her heart was so big sometimes I swore she left little to no love for herself- Always putting everyone's feelings above her own, wanting those she loved to be happy even if it meant she was suffering.

Lena is the type of girl you can confide in and never be afraid that you'll be judged because she'd never shame you, she'd support you when you needed support but also pull you down from a ledge when she knew you needed a reality check.

I used to think JJ and Lena were perfect, the bond the two shared in friendship. Lena always talking JJ down when it seemed like no one else could, or being the one JJ went to with anything and everything- And maybe that's what scared him.

Maybe the love Lena has to offer JJ scared him because I could see the light within his eyes as he stared at Lena.

"Coreena Boggs?" A doctor calls out, and when Lena stands from her chair... JJ stands with her, almost in a protective way. It made me frown as I watched his eyes scan over her face to make sure she was okay before turning to look at the doctor who was speaking.

Logan takes a spot next to his daughter much to Lena's dismay as the doctor tells them that Coreena is awake and ready to see them.

John B wraps his hand in mine as Pope sighed in exhaustion. "I'm so glad Coreena's alright." He announced, yawning.