20

Lena Boggs

          "For your sake, I hope you're joking." Addie gasps at her brother, throwing a piece of popcorn at him with a frown displayed on her face. Ayden catches the popcorn in his mouth before flashing his extremely annoyed sister a toothy smile making her scoff.

"Why on earth would I joke about that? I'm not joking Addie." Ayden says as he sits in between my legs on the floor of his massive living room, I sit on the couch and gently play with his hair while listening to the two siblings argue.

Addie leans forward with raised eyebrows, "Why would I joke about that," She mimics Ayden, crossing her eyes and doing a horrible impression of him before slamming her hand down onto the couch cushion. "Because Mom and Dad will actually murder you if you're being serious!" I giggle to myself as I shake my head at their banter.

I found myself at peace with my life for the first time since summer started. There has been no new drama between my Mom and Dad, granted I haven't seen or spoken to my Dad since I saw him at the hospital and when he comes back home to pick up more clothing, I lock myself in my room... Other than that, things are good. My Mom's still trying to move on, understandable considering she was married to him for fourteen years but overall, things were getting better.

JJ and I had reconciled our differences, slowly building our friendship back up to what it once was. Of course, neither of us have even mentioned the hooking up part of our friendship that had developed over the last year- But I think it was a mutual agreement that, that would stop now. It kind of sucks though, he was great in bed and I am kind of still in love with him.

"I just think college would be a huge waste of time and money." Ayden shrugs. "Are you really serious?" Addie gapes at her brother in disbelief and he smiles back at her, "As a heart attack." Ayden leans his head back so he can see my face. "What do you think, LeeLee?"

I glance over at Addie who's giving me a daring look and then look back down at Ayden. "I mean, I know I want to go... It's whether or not I can afford it that's the issue. You're lucky, you don't have to worry about that. I know so many people on The Cut who would have loved to go to college but didn't because they couldn't afford it," I tell him. "I think you're throwing away an amazing opportunity if you don't go, but either way it's your choice. Do what makes you happy because at the end of the day it's your opinion that matters, not mine."

There's a few seconds of silence before Addie throws a handful of popcorn at Ayden, making him yelp as one hits him in the eye. "That's the nice way of saying she agrees with me, jackass!" Addie snaps at him, sending me a wink that makes me smile.

"I'm done with this conversation, you guys are ganging up on me," Ayden fake pouts, sticking out his bottom lip as he pushes himself to his feet and turns to look at me. "You're supposed to take my side, LeeLee."

I giggle as he plops down beside me on the couch and pulls my legs over the top of his thighs. Leaning closer to him, I cup his cheeks and bring my lips to his for a second, and before pulling away, I gently slap my hand against his cheek. "Stop pouting, you big baby."

When I look back at Addie, she's pretending to gag and sticking a finger in her mouth.

Noticing that I've caught her in the act, she pulls her finger away from her mouth and gives me an innocent smile. She reminds me of JJ, in a sense. With her sarcastic comments and the way she acts, it was hard not to think of him when she is around but it made me like her all the more.

"As weird as this is going to sound, Lena," Addie blurts as she kicks her feet up onto the glass table that sat between the two couches, "I did some social media stalking last night and I have to say... Your Dad is a total DILF." My jaw drops as she says it nonchalantly.