5

Lena Boggs

          This morning I woke up to an empty house, which I couldn't help but feel relieved about that. It was nice to not have to listen to my parents arguing over something as simple as putting dishes away- I just didn't get it. My whole life my parents have never fought, the sudden change in their relationship made me worried.

As I made my way towards John B's house I found myself stressing about the events of last night, thinking about how JJ left right after we were finished. I mean he doesn't have to stay every night because we never made it an obligation so I have no right to be upset- Or so I keep telling myself.

"Dude, what's been going on with Kiara?" I instantly froze at the sound of John B's voice, glancing up at the opened window that led to John B's living room.

"I don't know what you're talking about JB." I heard JJ chuckle in response, my breathing suddenly becoming heavier as I lean my back against the wall. I felt guilty for eavesdropping, but I couldn't help myself.

"Oh come on, don't give me that shit JJ," John B exclaimed. "You guys have been hanging out a lot more recently and don't think I haven't noticed you two being all touchy-feely either."

I felt my breath hitch as JJ just groans, "What are you asking bro? If I'm mackin' on Kie?"

Kie, Kie, Kie.

"I don't know man, it's... I mean it's Kiara, right? This badass surfer kook who's been kickin' it with us pogues for as long as I can remember. I just really been enjoying my time with her, okay?" Instant heartbreak.

There's no noise for a short moment before John B laughs. "You're fucking macking on Kie."

I found myself begging silently for JJ to deny it, to tell John B he's crazy because he only views Kiara as a friend- With everything inside of me, I begged to hear JJ say that. My chest heaving as I listen to JJ laugh in response.

I felt my whole world spin around me, covering my mouth with my hand to silence my cries.

JJ likes Kiara.

"Hey, wasn't Lena supposed to be here right about now?" I hear John B ask, "She's been distant lately, have you noticed that? Always leaving out of nowhere. Do you think she's alright?"

"I mean, she seems fine to me," JJ says nonchalantly. I take a deep breath before deciding that I needed to get out of here, that I couldn't be around Kiara and JJ right now. Everything that I thought I knew, everything that I have ever wanted, was slipping out from under my feet and there was nothing I could do about that.

          I could hear the music and chatter of the people at the boneyard before I even got there, I fixed the strap of my bikini top and pushed a strand of hair behind my ear as made my way towards the drunken Tourons, Pogues, and Kooks with one thing in mind; I needed to get loaded.

"Lena where the hell were you today!" Kiara shouts as she rushes over to me. "You missed JJ completely wiping out on his board today." She chuckles as she grabs my wrist, pulling me towards our group of friends.

"Bummer," I mutter to myself as we approached my other best friends, John B's arm wrapped around Sarah. "Hey Lee B." JJ grins at me, I nod towards him before looking around us, not without catching the way his face dropped at my lack of acknowledgment.

"I need a drink, as soon as possible," I announced, John B smirks at me. "Is Drunken Lena coming out to play tonight?" He wiggles his eyebrows, making me roll my eyes. "Well, maybe she will if I can get my hands on a drink."