14

Lena Boggs

"Sarah I don't know..." I hesitated as I stared at myself in the mirror. "I would never be able to afford a dress like this, I can't just take it from you." I turn towards Sarah who's sitting on her bed stuffing her face with Cheetos.

She swallows before placing the bag beside her. "Lena, I promise you. It's okay, seriously. You look beautiful, Ayden will love it and I am going to love seeing you in it. So that's enough payment."

I sighed as I glanced back down at the dress and smiled softly to myself, my hands running down the length of it before I did a little spin. "I do like it..." I admit as Sarah watches me smiling.

"Exactly! All the more reason for you to wear it, look this is my first year going to MidSummers with John B. I practically had to beg Ward and Rose to even let him come, so I'm going all out. That means you should too." She stands from the bed, walking towards me while wiping her hands on the jean shorts she was wearing.

"You're going to have fun, you're going to look hot and you're going to forget all about JJ Maybank for at least one night." I turned back to face the mirror, my eyes traveling down my body.

Sarah was right. I needed to let go tonight, to forget about everything that has been happening recently. "Okay, I'll wear it."

As I stared at myself in the mirror, I couldn't help but smile at myself. I looked different and I felt pretty.

My hair was curled perfectly, Sarah had even done my makeup- Which was something I hardly ever did. The eyeliner made my eyes stand out even more, and the red dress I was wearing certainly helped amplify them as well.

"Lena, are you rea- Woah." I turned to see Sarah standing in the doorway of the bathroom in a beautiful silk white dress with long sleeves that showcased her every curve, her glossy lips parted as she took in my appearance.

"You look so good, Lena." Sarah compliments me, stepping close to take in a better view of me. "Sarah you look amazing," I said breathlessly, her blonde hair pulled up in a Dutch Crown Braid with a few strands in front of her face.

"Never mind me, Lena, you look so pretty. I'm honestly speechless." She grabs my hands. "Are you ready to go?" I took one last glance at myself in the mirror before nodding. "Yeah, I'm ready."

As we got downstairs much to my surprise Ward Cameron complimented my appearance, Rose Cameron agreeing with him as they sent me a nod of approval. Sarah leaned into me as she caught me looking around, "Rafe isn't coming with us."

"Are you coming with us, Lena?" Ward questioned as he pulled his suit jacket over top of his dress shirt. "Uh... I'm actually going with my friend, who lives just next door." I replied, watching Ward fix his tie.

"You're friends with the Sower's?" He seemed surprised at my confession, as he wrapped his arm around Rose. "Yeah. I'm friends with their son, Ayden."

"Ayden is a wonderful young man, I'm just surprised he's gotten so close with you. Considering the short amount of time he's been here." I could sense the judgment in his voice, making my eyes slightly narrow toward him. I knew what he meant was he was surprised a Kook had asked a Pogue like me to this event.

I turn to Sarah, "So. John B meeting you here, or there?" I asked just despite her father, knowing how little he approved of their relationship. Sarah's lips pulled into a smirk, obviously catching onto my little scheme.

"Oh, there. We're walking in together." We don't miss the scoff that falls from Ward as she says this. "I'll see you guys there then, I'm going to go walk over to Ayden's." I said, kissing Sarah on the cheek.