Ch. 45 - THE FOX AND THE WOLF

Wren's outfit:

Chapter Forty-Five🦊 The Fox and The Wolf 🦊

Chapter Forty-Five
🦊 The Fox and The Wolf 🦊

This is everything non-lethal we could find." Allison says as Argent, Stilinski and Derek all follow her into into Argent's office where Wren stood. "Take all of it." Argent said. "What's the plan, here?" Stilinski asked coming up to stand next to Allison. "Our best shot right now is for Derek to try to pick up Stiles' scent at Eichen House especially if he went through something stressful there." Argent explained.

"Should all five of us be going to the same place?" Stilinski asked and Argent looked over at Wren. "Where else has Stiles been showing up?" He asked and she pursed her lips, "The school, the hospital." She answered.

"Okay, hold on- we did this already. He disappeared, we started looking for him... then walked right into a trap at the hospital." Derek said making them realize what he was getting at. "He's getting us to repeat the same moves."

"So, what do we do? Wait for him to come to us?" Allison asked and Wren shook her head, "We can't. The Oni will go after him the second the sun goes down. Scott's working on that right now with Kira, but there's no telling how that'll take." She said glancing around at all of them.

"That's the problem- we're all trying to out fox the Fox." Argent said making them all look down, "Listen... I'll understand if anyone wants to back out." Stilinski said making them all look at him and Derek scoffed, "I won't be the first Wolf to run from a Fox." He said, grabbing a taser.

"Apparently, I'm carrying a lightsaber." Argent said looking at Allison while Wren furrowed her brows. "Dad, you, Derek and I hit Eichen House. Sheriff, Wren it's you guys in the hospital. We all meet in the school." Allison said and they nodded.

🦊

Stilinski sighed as the doors to the elevators closed, "You know what? I don't know how you guys do it. You're all so strong. You're fearless. Hell, you even manage to keep your grades up..." He said and Wren pursed her lips. "I'm failing Econ." Wren said and he nodded slightly, "Is that Coach's class?" He asked and she nodded.

"I'll have a talk with him." He said and she chuckled before sighing softly. "Hey, you okay?" He asked, looking over to see her eyes have went glossy and she slightly shook her head making him press the emergency stop button.

"I nowhere near fearless, no matter how hard I try. I'm terrified, actually. With Isaac being in the hospital, Stiles being possessed, I still don't know what I am... And I can't help but feel like something really bad is going to happen soon. I'm scared." She said before taking a deep breath, trying to push back the tears.

Stilinski gently grabbed her arm making her look at him. He smiled sadly at her before pulling her into a comfortingly hug making her hug him back.

"You know, one of these days you could probably write a book about everything that's happened in this town. You'd probably make millions." He said making her laugh as a tear ran down her face. They pulled back but he still gently held her shoulders as she wiped away her tears,

"Hey." He whispered making her look at him, "You're gonna be okay." He said and she took a deep breath and nodded, giving him a small smile. He smiled softly at her and squeezed her shoulders and went to start the elevator again but his phone started buzzing making him pull it out.

"What is it?" She asked as a Digital Life System notification popped up on his screen. "Someone's breaking into my house..." He said making her look at him wide eyed, "After Stiles started sleepwalking, I had some safety precautions put in- motion sensors, cameras..." He explained as he pulled up a video feed from one of the cameras.

"That's his room." She said as Stilinski zoomed the camera in to see Stiles- or well- Void Stiles sitting on his bed, staring at the camera before waving slowly.

🦊

The five of them slowly and cautiously walked into Stiles bedroom, looking around. "What is all this? What are these sticky notes for?" Argent asked looking at a chess board. There was sticky notes on the pieces with names written on them. "This is what Stiles used to try and explain to me about... all of you." Stilinski said and Wren walked over looking at the board, "Well, maybe it's a message from Stiles- the real Stiles." Allison suggested.

"Do you think there's any reason my name's on the king?" Derek asked, "You're heavily guarded... Though, I guess the alarming detail is that you're one move from being in checkmate." Stilinski said as they all looked at the board.

"It's not a message from Stiles- it's a threat from the Nogitsune." Argent said looking up at all of them, "He's at the loft. That's what he's trying to tell us. And he wants us to come there." He finished. "Night's falling..." Wren said as she looked at the window. "This couldn't sound any more like a trap." Argent said and Stilinski shook his head, "I don't think it is..."

"I think your opinion might be slightly biased, Sheriff."

"Hear me out! What we're dealing with here is basically someone who lacks motive- no rhyme or reason, right?" Stilinski asked looking at Wren and she nodded, "Meaning what?" Argent asked. "Our enemy is not a killer... It's a trickster. The killing is just a by-product." Stilinski said.

"If you're trying to say it won't kill us, I'm not feeling too confident about that..." Derek said and Wren shook her head, getting what Stilinski was saying. "No, it wont. The Nogitsune is a trickster spirit, it wants irony. It wants a joke." She said looking over at Stilinsk who nodded, "All we need to do is come up with a new punchline."

"The sun is setting, Sheriff... What do you have in mind?"