2: Happy Again

"Hello."

"What do you mean 'hello'!?" his younger self yelled again.

"State your business." Kakashi said professionally. The younger Obito nodded. "What he said."

Obito didn't lower his arms to show that he was, for a fact, not hostile. And he was no Genin killer. He only killed people in his way back in his reality.

"...I am Tobi." might as well use that name.

"So? No one asked-"

"Obito!" the girl, Rin, scolded. His younger self glanced at her worriedly.

"It's fine." he said, using his 'Madara' voice. It was just an especially deep voice, nothing like the actual Miranda's. The three seemed to flinch at the change.

"What? How did you do that!? Is that a Jutsu!?"

The masked boy didn't put down his kunai but slapped the younger Obito behind the head.

"Not everything contains Chakra, dimwit." he said, frowning at the younger Obito.

Obito chuckled to himself and that drew him attention again.

"Wait. I am not here to cause harm." Obito said, returning to his normal voice. In truth, it was slightly straining to use the deep voice.

Younger Kakashi glared at him. "And how are we supposed to know if you're telling the truth or not?"

Obito slipped off his hood and showed his white hair. He noticed it was white when a strand fell while he ran his hand through it.

He stared down at them because of his height and showed his lone, dark eye.

But his eye held no intent to do anything bad to these Genins.

He brought his hands to his sides.

"Take off your mask." Kakashi demanded. Tobi shook his head.

"I can't do that. Sorry."

Obito glared up at him with squinted eyes but he gave up. He lowered his kunai and put it back on its pouch.

"Okay. Just–what do you want?" he asked finally, and Tobi walked a step forward. The three backed up.

Kakashi channeled his Chidori, and now it was intercepting with his kunai. He glared daggers at Tobi.

"I just wanted to-"

"You three!"

A voice shouted. The three Genins turned around and saw Minato running to them.

Tobi didn't run away. "Sensei! There's a man–" Obito was cut off when Rin grabbed his arm.

As soon as Minato made it to them Tobi bowed his head. "Greetings, yellow flash of Konohagakure."

He used his deep voice. Minato eyes him wearily, his hand twitching at his kunai pouch.

"You... who are you?" he asked. Tobi lifted his head. "My name is Tobi. I am a new Jonin."

Minato's stance softened, but his gaze remained. "Is that so?"

He looked down at his three students, and at the mention Kakashi stopped his Chidori. He pocketed the kunai.

Minato looked back at Tobi and approached him. "Then why haven't I seen you before?"

"I am from another village, sir. The hokage had traded me." he said.

"Traded you? Huh..." Minato eyed him up and down. Then, he smiled.

"Alright. If you're a traveler from a break then you could've just told me. There's no need to lie." the blonde said calmly.

Tobi could only nod. "Well then, would you like to watch my students train? I can tell you're not from here. Maybe get used to the Konoha way of things?" Minato continued, leading Tobi towards the middle of the training ground.

He put on his hood again.

-----

He's surely not an ANBU. Nor is he from ROOT...

Hopefully he's not a spy as well. The war had just finished.

Minato glanced at Tobi with his mask. There was only one hole and it had a swirly shape.

He squinted his eyes, trying to look through the man, but nothing came up.

He already noted that this couldn't be the person he saw earlier in the forest. It didn't seem like the person had a mask, but they were showing only an eye... and that eye's Sharingan.

But they were already too far down into the ground for him to see more. By the time he was able to peek the only thing he saw was the Sharingan. He told Fugaku but the Uchiha clan head didn't say anything about Uchihas staying in the outskirts of the village.

The man he was walking with right now couldn't possibly be that man...right?

Maybe, maybe not. I'll inform the Hokage...

But until then, he might as well indulge in training with his students.

-----

Tobi knew that his past Sensei was already suspecting him. Surely the man had seen his Sharingan.

Hopefully no one would reprimand him yet. He knew Hiruzen was still alive, so if he did get reprimanded, then maybe the Hokage could understand that he was from the future. No one could just use the Sharingan and look like one of the Uchihas despite the hair.

But Tobi didn't think of that right now. Because right now, he could happily watch his past self train happily with his teammates that Tobi knew he took for granted.

He still loved Rin, but the time to reunite with her could wait.

Minato had offered him to sit on a bench laying around in front of the training ground.

Tobi had gladly taken it and sat down after a while of tired consciousness.

He leaned on the back of the bench and relaxed. Surely Minato wouldn't kill him in his peaceful sleep.

Maybe take off his mask, but not kill him. Hopefully not kill him.

The blonde could be merciless as well as loving and caring. Merciless only applies in the battlefield. He's a monster in war.

But the most Tobi had seen him was when he was being nice. Kushina was nice as well, but wasn't as much of a monster as Minato in the battlefield.

Tobi kind of regrets ever getting Minato and Kushina killed. He only wanted the Nine-tails, but he failed that and got a hole in the two's chests. Not to mention Naruto was the one who got the Nine-tails and was also the one who ended up watching him die. In a nice way.

Either way, he watched the Genins start to form a stance. Tobi had just noticed but Rin was actually walking towards him.

The young girl sat down at the bench a little further away from him and, out of respect, he moved at the edge slightly.

He saw his younger self and Kakashi arguing again and Minato was trying to calm them down.

If I want to change the past, then I have to make sure my past self never meets Madara.

...This is the best I can do for a first step.

He watched with his one eye the spar that was already getting initiated between the two boys and their Sensei.

He balled his fists as he glanced at the younger Rin laughing at the boys' antics.

I'm going to change everything. I'll save myself from the fall.

The younger Obito smiled again after a short scolding from Minato.

Tobi smiled at himself inside of his mask.

I'll make myself... happy again.