22: The Dimension

Obito, upon getting his consciousness back, quickly opened his eyes.

He was surprised his eyes were still intact. He heard of stories from his grandmother that when young Uchihas venture out alone, they'd get kidnapped and their kidnappers would steal their eyes.

So you can say that Obito thought it was over for him and his Sharingan. But it turns out not.

He sat up slowly as a headache suddenly started to bloom in his temple. He tried shaking it off but figured it would only get worse.

With that in mind he looked around, only to see a bright scenery that made him squint.

Nothing in the war or Konoha was ever this bright.

He blinked as his eyes finally adjusted themselves. After his eyes got used to the light he started to look around, only to be more surprised at the fact that not only was it bright, it was also a beautiful plain field of grass.

When he looked forward he saw mountains up ahead with clouds at their tops, perfectly showing how beautiful nature really is.

He noticed that he was in shade, so when he looked up he saw a big, tall tree with healthy-looking leaves and branches covering them from the sun's heat that radiated off the similarly healthy scenery.

He was amazed at how beautiful, and- almost perfect place this is.

Is this heaven? He thought. Because I know Konoha isn't even close to this.

"You're awake."

Obito perked up at the voice as goosebumps graced the back of his neck at how familiar it was.

He turned his head and his eyebrows lifted upon seeing Rin and Kakashi peacefully asleep on the soft grass whilst he leaned his back on the tree.

He activated his Sharingan anyway in alert. Because even if the voice was familiar, and he might as well know who it is, their Sensei said that this person was a Rogue.

And rogues were never nice.

"Calm down. I'm not here to hurt you."

After that short sentence a familiar book-flip sound was heard.

Obito twisted more just to see the person only to find out they were on the other side of the tree, leaning on the same trunk Obito was leaning on, but on the other side.

The only thing the Uchiha could see from the corner of his eye was their almost shining white hair.

He didn't deactivate his Sharingan as he found out that his reserves were back to normal.

He furrowed his brows at what the man said.

"And how am I supposed to know?" he asked through doubting red eyes, glancing at that white, spiky hair every so often.

The man on the other side only flipped to another page which Obito soon found out was a book because of the sound.

"Who saved you?"

"What?"

The man hummed a small tune, saying it again. "Who saved you?"

Obito furrowed his brows, knotting them together, thus making a deeper line appear between his eyes and on the bridge of his nose.

The Uchiha returned to his original position with his back on the tree but his face remained doubtful.

"Who did save us?" he asked himself quietly though he was sure the man still heard it, assumed from the small chuckle that left his lips after he said that.

Obito closed his eyes and took a deep breath of the air around him. It was fresher than in Konoha. Cold, untainted wind.

Was it you? A question remained. But he didn't dare ask it.

"You do know you can just ask me, right?" the man, who they called 'Tobi' for a time, said to him while chuckling lowly.

Obito turned from doubting to irritated because it sounded as if the man was insulting him. "Well, of course I know! I just don't because... because who knows what you might do."

An uncomfortable silence settled after that but it was brokem with a small question.

"Do you want to be Hokage?"

Obito tensed, before calming himself. "I do. Why?"

"You asked." Tobi said. Obito paused.

"What?"

"You asked me. Did I do anything to you?"

Obito frowned. "What are you talking abou–"

"You were going to ask again, and I didn't do anything to you, did I?" at the end it sounded a bit more aggressive.

Obito started to feel a bit of fear because of the note the man's voice was getting. He was never this scary when he encountered him during training hours.

After yet another silence, a sigh was heard.

"I'm sorry. It's just that... People think I'd do something to them just because they don't know how I look like. They think I'd be some violent prick just because their sensei called me a rogue." Tobi said with a bit of disappointment, hanging his head low, his voice getting softer.

After hearing that Obito still didn't respond, but he felt a twinge of familiarity.

"You know what? I used to have nothing in my heart. I used to be that description. I lost everyone dear to me in a flash. But that was until I met someone, who reminded me of myself. Someone who had sought to become a Hokage, like you, and me when I was just a child."

Obito perked up again at this. "You wanted to be Hokage, too? Then you're from the Leaf!" Obito proudly exclaimed the last part with a smile.

Tobi only smiled at that. "Maybe." and it was the end of that conversation.

Another silence settled between then but this time, it was lighter, and Obito just basked in the heat that went through the shade of the leaves covering their heads.

He breathed in as much summer air as he could. He no longer cared where he was, as the Tobi guy seemed nice enough that he saved them and brought them to this place.

I already came to that conclusion. Who else would've decided to save us? Even rogues have hearts. He shook his head. He still didn't believe Tobi but he had to in the mean time.

But right now, all he needed to do was wait for his teammates to wake up.

"...huh...?"

Speak of the Madara Uchiha himself.