13: Broken Mask, Broken Act

"I've been waiting for you." the love of his life, Rin, had said to him.

Obito watched as the person he had been waiting to see all these years spoke to him in person, and held his hand.

Tears fell from his eyes and through his cheeks like a natural waterfall. His onyx eyes glistened from the sheer wetness.

"Rin..." he mumbled, loud enough in this pink, empty place with the company of the Nohara.

Obito wiped his eyes with his arm, "It's embarrassing... You've seen all the horrible things I've done back there..." he said, truly embarrassed.

Rin smiled, but as he looked up Rin started to turn to dust.

"Rin..." he uttered her name as her face started to crack like the hundreds of other mirrors that he had broken out of pure rage.

The hand that held his withered away into nothing as he reached both his hands towards her.

Her withered body started to join the rogue wind in this impossible abyss and Obito's eyes widened.

"Rin!"

-----

Obito snapped his eyes open as he sat up in shock, his chest heaving up and down, out of breath.

Sweat coated the half of his body and his face.

His face...

He touched his crooked face and turned around only to see his mask broken and discarded on a wooden table.

...my face!

He gasped, but just then someone entered where he was through a curtain covering his entire area.

It was...

"I see you're awake." Hiruzen stated as he stared at Obito half panicking.

"Where the hell am I!?" he half-yelled as he looked around rapidly, eyes ready to activate his Sharingan.

"Calm yourself. You are only in the hospital." Hiruzen attempted to calm the Uchiha but he only scowled in response.

"Why are you keeping me here? For my eyes?" he asked with a sneer.

The Hokage sighed, shaking his head. "No." he answered, "Although I believe you have something to tell me."

Obito scrunched his face at the man. This may be the Hokage but what does he think I should be telling him?

Obviously not that I'm Madara. Obito didn't like that thought. The real Madara Uchiha wouldn't panic like he was just seconds ago.

...that's right. He wasn't someone like Madara. The man was evil, but headstrong, skilled and believed in what he wanted.

Obito on the other hand... only stubborn and overall skill-less. The only advantage he had back when he was Genin was his position as an Uchiha and the hope that he would one day earn his Sharingan.

Even then I was a late bloomer. Always me.

Obito shook off those thoughts and contemplated what he should say next. It had to be well-thought, or else he would totally ruin everything.

And because he already knows my face he must already know that Fugaku lied to him. Damn it... The coup d'etat's going to become more likely.

He exhaled roughly through his nose. "...what do you think it is, then?" he responded after battling his own mind.

Hiruzen stared at him blankly, before sighing again. "It seems I just have to be stern with you." he stated.

"Who exactly are you?" he finally asked, and Obito's brows both lifted in sync.

I didn't think about that.

Hiruzen patiently waited for the answer with crossed arms and tilted brows.

I didn't think about that.

Obito didn't think about the possibility of getting caught. Obito didn't think it through because he didn't expect to get into this predicament. I never thought about this. Getting caught never crossed my mind.

He pondered over it. What should I say? He thought to himself. That I'm Obito Uchiha? I mean, this is literally the past, and I can't tell them I died and suddenly transported here from the future. And that I'm Obito Uchiha from the future!

Scratch convincing them I'm a good guy and the Obito from the future. There's an easier way to...

"Hello?"

"...get."

Hiruzen raised a brow at the half-whispered response as Obito closed both his eyes.

"What did you say?" the Hokage asked.

It's worth it. I saw Itachi use this before. Obito regulated his breathing and he calmed down from the slight adrenaline before.

It's going to be worth it. He won't remember. It will work.

Hiruzen opened his mouth to say something again before Obito clutched the white sheets of the blanket draped over his legs and opened his one eye.

"Forget."

Hiruzen was too slow to react as his eyes were enveloped by the Sharingan.

Both his eyes were now the same as Obito's one Mangekyou.

This was a technique of the Uchiha to make the people who they use the technique to forget the things that they want forgotten.

So it's possible for this interaction to get erased from his memories.

Obito knew the drawbacks of the use of the Mangekyou Sharingan, but he'd rather waste another use than get jailed for being a trespasser by the Hokage himself.

Minato is another problem completely, only if he saw what I looked like. But if he didn't...

Obito grabbed his cloak, put on his hood and took the broken mask. It was the only one he had right now and he couldn't risk a nurse catching him destroy the memory of his encounter with the Hokage, from the Hokage.

He glanced one more time as the Hokage collapsed on the floor, passed out.

It would take longer for someone to find him here. But that's only if someone does find him here. He might as well wake up by himself. That's better.

Obito shook his head one last time before disappearing in a swirl into his own dimensions.

I don't care if that Sharingan technique doesn't work. At least I escaped.

With that, he yet again runs back to the forest after returning from one of his many dimensions.

He sighed while running away with his arms flailing at his sides. I can wait until I could make sure my past self doesn't get his half stuck in that rock.