59: Explanation Of The Three Words; I'm Sorry

"My past self."

-----

Kakashi was stunned, hearing what Tobi–no, Obito was saying to him.

Rin was there, too; with the most unbelieving expression any ninja can do easily.

"So you're telling me... that Obito, Obito Uchiha, the idiot who wants to become Hokage, is you in the future if you didn't come and save us in that mission with the Iwa-nins?"

Kakashi replayed everything that Obito said as he and Rin took a glimpse at the other Obito, their Obito, still unconscious.

Tobi just nodded. They still weren't used to calling Tobi by their friend's name. They'll never get used to something like a time traveler.

"But wait... how did you come from the future?" Rin asked.

Tobi scratched the back of his head. The white hair never failed to give a faint glow from the sunlight.

Tobi sighed as he leaned back. "I don't know, either. I died, killed by some 'Rabbit Goddess'. Then I got ressurected here. By the son of the one who killed me..." Tobi trailed off as he glanced behind him and to his past self.

Rin nodded, although from her expression Tobi could say that she still didn't understand anything.

"...if you're really Obito from the future, well, the other future, then why is your hair white?" Rin asked again. Kakashi looked deep in thought but he also looked up to look Tobi in the eye.

"Well... you know about the Rinnegan, right?"

"Rinnegan..." Kakashi mumbled.

"Ring any bells?"

Rin shook her head as Kakashi took a deep breath.

"I've read it in an advanced history book as an ANBU operative before. The Rinnegan... one of the three great dojutsu other than Sharingan and Byakugan... it can only be acquired if you have the blood of both Senju and Uchiha..." Kakashi looked back again at their Obito. Still unconscious.

"That's right. I... used to have the Rinnegan. And I, was almost controlled to do the technique, 'Rinnerebirth' to revive a certain someone. But... I managed to persevere, which made me something else entirely... but I kept the hair color." Tobi explained. I can't explain about me being the Jinchuriki for the Ten-Tails yet.

"Really..." Kakashi mumbled. Rin was looking at the two of them as she tried to understand what was being said.

"..." Tobi sighed. "I was a bad person. I never got to achieve my dream of becoming Hokage, even as I died. I ruined many lives... so when I found out I was brought back I was almost ecstatic."

He looked at Rin, Kakashi and Obito in the back fondly.

"After that, I managed to keep Rin alive." Rin's brows lifted as she heard her name. "And now look at you... the teammates I hoped for when I was stuck in that cave after that rock fall."

Their eyes widened.

"So that scene..."

"Yes. That was me. And it's where I got my scar and half body replaced. Kakashi... If I didn't intervene back then, you would be having my past self's eye sooner." Tobi glanced at Rin. "And more regrets."

Eventually, Kakashi nodded.

"So... will you return?" the Hatake suddenly asked.

Tobi shrugged and hummed. "I don't know. Once I finish my task in this world..." he smiled down at the ground as he made both his hands touch. "...I... will reunite with Rin from my reality. And after that, all I need to do is wait for Kakashi next and we'd be the full team seven again."

Rin and Kakashi just listened and watched as Tobi smiled to himself.

"But," Tobi stood up, and took his old fix mask, "I cannot allow you to live on knowing that I'm Obito from another reality's future."

The duo's eyes widened at that as they both stood up, ready to defend themselves.

Tobi just chuckled lowly under his breath. "You know I'd never hurt my teammates."

He gave the two a soft smile before activating his Mangekyou Sharingan.

"I'll just erase your memories."

"Wai–!"

Kakashi was cut off as he and Rin's eyes were enveloped by Tobi's Mangekyou Sharingan power.

Then, they both fell to the ground.

"I'm sorry, you three..."

Tobi looked away from their faces as he put on his mask and activated his Kamui.

"But for you to proceed I'll have to erase my very existence in your eyes."

Minato and everyone who's come in contact with me will, except for my students.

"I'm sorry." he went away from there and into a dimension. But it's the only way for you to move on with your lives without wondering about me.