16: Already Close

Obito put his hood on and it covered his white hair. The mask which he had taken had two holes for the eyes.

Obito didn't mind, since he got both his eyes back, but he was used to using only one eye.

It wasn't a problem, but he preferred to be more mysterious like Kakashi who would never show his face beneath the mask.

Obito face-palmed himself after noticing what the hell he just thought. Geez. Aren't I over Kakashi already?

He shook his head, making the small spiky strands of his hair move with his head before jumping down.

He also needed gloves, like when he was still part of the Akatsuki. So no one could see the crooked artificial half of my body.

He was lucky that his eye wasn't crushed by the boulder. Very lucky.

But then again if it was, Madara wouldn't have bothered to save me. Obito didn't like that thought. That Madara only saved him because he had the chance of gaining a powerful Sharingan.

He did get a powerful Sharingan, that's a well-known fact now in his reality, but in the end he only got thrown away like a toy that was too old and brittle to do its job.

Madara doesn't care about his comrades. Like Obito was. He was loyal to Madara because Madara promised a world of eternal peace. That was his plan, but he didn't need Obito anymore by then.

Did he even have friends? Obito knew that he had a brother and that he killed that same brother, taking his eyes. Though he never knew the full truth.

He looked around where he jumped down to as he used his unnecessarily
long sleeves to cover his hands in case anyone was there to see him.

His mask wasn't hard so if someone were to attack his face he'd have more than that big old scar on his right side.

He started to walk again.

Did days go by when he was unconscious in the hospital? How many people had seen his ugly face?

Why is he thinking about it just now when he could've as soon as he got out?

Maybe the Hokage already showed Fugaku how he looked. Or worse; Minato.

Well, even if he did go around announcing that he was an Uchiha there was no way they would believe a white-haired adult man that had a massive scar on the right side of his face unless he shows them his Sharingan. Even civilians aren't that dumb.

He wouldn't do that though. And there was no way he would already reveal himself to the Genins.

Did the Genins already see the uneven scar lines on his face from the hole of the broken mask? Did they?

Hopefully not. It would only add to my trouble.

He decided to walk towards the training ground again. Surely Minato wouldn't do that stunt again. Surely, right?

He had been doubtful since this morning, but he needed to make sure they didn't see his face.

Encountering the Genins or Minato himself and watching their expressions closely while (supposedly) maintaining a long enough conversation would allow him to know if they did.

Obito looked around and saw no one alert in his presence. No Jonins seem to mind me, as well... So it was only the Hokage, Minato and Fugaku.

He didn't like that, either. Because he used to admire the Jonins. Now he knows they're all just lazy bums and nothing like he thought back then.

The only reason for them to toughen up and learn is so that they can go on missions and earn money for their village. The academy is useless of they only turn out like this.

He started to jog halfway through now because walking will only make him reminisce more. And he also didn't like that.

What's up with me not liking things today? He thought to himself with a frown securely hidden inside his mask.

He shook it off while holding his hood as to not let it fall from the village's wind.

Soon he also arrived the training ground.

He walked there cautiously and saw Minato with the three Genins, and from what Obito could see they were talking.

He listened in and heard as much as he could.

-----

"It's finally here!" Obito mused with excitement as he read the writing on the paper he was holding over and over.

Minato laughed. "It's finally here, Obito. Are you attending?"

Obito smirked at his sensei. "That's not even a question anymore, Sensei." he said that enthusiastically.

Minato just smiled at the small Uchiha Genin. Kakashi rolled his eyes but he stayed quiet, just watching as Rin cheered him on.

"This is going to be my second try at the Chunin exams and this time, I'm not going to fail!" he continued, puffing his chest in pride at his words this time.

Kakashi rolled his eyes again. "Make sure of it, dimwit. We need more high-level missions."

Obito only smiled the Hatake's way a little irritably before nodding at their sensei and they finally start to train.

-----

Obito's brows lifted, before they went back down. How could I have forgotten? Only I back then was not able to pass the Chunin exams with Rin. Kakashi had always been the first to achieve things.

He shook his head. I suppose I was wrong to have called them Genins. Did I insult them?

He glanced at the students again before looking away. "Right. I didn't say anything..." he whispered to only himself.

"What are you doing there?" Obito felt his shoulders jolt at the sudden, familiar voice.

He turned around and so did the other four away from him.

"K-Uzumaki-san," he almost slipped with her name. She gave him a Naruto smile as she used her hand to beckon him to follow her. Didn't she think it was strange to see me spying on them?

Obito glanced behind him, the direction of where Minato and his team resided in, and he saw the blonde Namikaze glaring daggers at him, as if his stare alone could kill him through his mask.

The Uchiha gulped before standing up and following the red-haired Uzumaki.

Please don't cause a fight now...