11. flipping a damn bus

CHAPTER ELEVEN
( flipping a damn bus )

MADDIE HELPED EL clean off the dirt from her face she had gathered while living in the woods for a second time

MADDIE HELPED EL clean off the dirt from her face she had gathered while living in the woods for a second time. When she had gotten it all off and Els face looked a whole lot cleaner, Maddie nodded. "There you go."

El turned to the mirror, putting her hand on top of her wig-less head with a frown. Maddie just looked at her. "You know, I think I like your hair better this way anyways." El continued to look at herself. "Still pretty?"

Maddie smiled. "Always." El turned to Maddie, a small smile falling on her own face before she looked back at her reflection. The small smile stayed, though, as she looked at herself. It was better. Still pretty.

Maddie moved so she was standing next to El, looking at the girl next to her from their reflections. "I think you'd give all the girls a run for their money. No one would be able to compete." El looked at Maddie, she had always found the girl to be very pretty. "Do you... give them a run for the money?"

Maddie laughed a bit. "No, but I don't want to." El looked at her confused. "Why not?" Maddie shrugged. "I like just getting by. I don't want the attention of people I don't care about. All those other girls can keep their money."

El smiled a bit. She quickly decided that if giving people a run for their money wasn't something Maddie wanted to do, then she didn't either.

Both girls jumped when Dustin suddenly opened the door, an urgent look on his face. "It's Lucas, I think he's in trouble." Maddie came out the bathroom quickly, El following closely behind.

Mike was sat at the turned on walkie and bits and pieces of a voice could be heard. Lucas' voice. "Do you remember how he said he was looking for the gate?" Dustin questioned. Maddie nodded. "Yeah."

"What if he found it?" Dustin responded. Lucas' muffled and staticky voice could be heard from the walkie, but it was almost impossible to tell what he was saying. Mike grabbed the walkie, standing up. "What's he saying?"

Dustin sighed. "I don't know, he's way out of range." Mike held the walkie closer to his face. Maddie leaned towards him, wanting to be able to hear better as well. "...son of a bitch!" That was all Maddie had caught.

Mike pressed a button on the side of the walkie. "Lucas, if you can hear us, slow down. We can't understand you." Lucas began to speak, more like yell, into his side of the walkie again but the group really couldn't make out what he was saying.

"Mad hen." Does that mean anything to you? Like a code name or something?" Dustin questioned. Maddies eyebrows scrunched up together in confusion. That was until she heard it perfectly. "The bad men are coming!"

"Bad men." Bad men!" Mike realized, putting the walkie down. He looked at El. "Stay here." Mike began running up the stairs out of the basement, followed closely behind by Dustin and Maddie.