01. bye bye byers

CHAPTER ONE
( bye bye byers )

IT WAS EASY for Madison Walker to lose herself in a book

IT WAS EASY for Madison Walker to lose herself in a book. She often found herself lost in a world better than her own and wished for her life to be like her favorite tales. The only people who seemed to make real life worth it would be her four friends, Mike Wheeler, Dustin Henderson, Lucas Sinclair, and Will Byers. She often found herself drawn back to the real world around her friends, they made her like reality just a little better.

So, when Mike invited all the friends to his house, Maddie found herself unable to focus on her favorite novel The Outsiders, as she was more focused on the game of D&D that the boys where playing.

Maddie stood from her seat on the couch, realizing she had reread the same page five times. She was unable to continue ignoring the game that had been going on for ten hours. She had stopped watching after a bit to try and reread her book a bit more, but the boys were all way too distracting with their shouts.

Maddie set her book down on the couch, retaking her seat next to her raven-haired friend. Mike looked at her and smiled, making her smile back. "Don't stop the fun just cause I'm here, Wheeler."

Mike blushed before turning back to the boys. "Something's is coming. Something hungry for blood. A shadow grows on the wall behind you, swallowing you in darkness. It is almost here." All the boys looked around worried making Maddie laugh, she always found how into this game her friends got amusing, seeing as they got very into it.

"What is it?" Questioned Will, looking around nervously. He was the smallest of the group, making him the most targeted by bullies like Troy, a boy in their grade, who enjoyed calling him queer and other names.

"What if it's the Demogorgon? Oh, jesus, we're so screwed if it's the Demogorgon." Dustin freaked, looking around at his friends. Lucas rolled his eyes, not believing Mike would play the Demogorgon card. "It's not the Demogorgon."

"An army of Troglodytes charge into the chamber!" Yelled out Mike making the three boys look at him weirdly as Mike slammed the figure on the table. "Troglodytes?" Dustin asked, let down after the suspenseful moment.

"Told you." Smirked Lucas making Maddie laugh out loud. "Nerds." Lucas made eye contact with Maddie, sticking his tongue out at her. Maddie laughed, sticking her own right back out at him in retaliation.

The two laughed a bit more before Mike suddenly looked nervously. "Wait a minute. Did you hear that? That... that sound? Boom... boom... boom!" He slammed his hands on the table, startling everyone else.

"That didn't come from the Troglodytes, no, that... that came from something else. The Demogorgon!" Mike slammed another figurine onto the table.

"We're in deep shit." Cussed Dustin causing Maddie to laugh at just how invested he was. Mike smiled as he heard her laugh, he'd always really enjoyed the sound of it. Mike then went back to the game, turning to Will. "Will, your action!" Will looked around worried. "I don't know!"