18. dart

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
( dart )

"THE CASE OF Phineas Gage is one of the great medical curiosities of all time

"THE CASE OF Phineas Gage is one of the great medical curiosities of all time. Phineas was a railroad worker in 1848 who had a nightmarish accident. A large iron rod was driven completely through his head." Mr. Clarke explained, using an expo market to simulate the rod on a projected image of a skull.

"Phineas miraculously survived. He seemed fine. And physically, yes, he was. But his injury resulted in a complete change to his personality. So much so that friends that knew him started referring to him as "No longer Gage." At the time, this was know as the American Crowbar Case. Although it wasn't a—" Mr. Clarke stopped speaking as the door to his classroom flung open and Dustin came running in.

"I am so sorry, Mr. Clarke. Really, I'm so sorry. Please continue with the class. Don't mind me. Really, continue, please. Thanks." Dustin panted, taking his seat.

Mr. Clarke nodded. "Although it wasn't a crowbar, it was a rod, as I said." Dustin turned around to the party, giving Maddie a look telling her to lean in. She did just that, leaning closer behind Will waiting for Dustin to speak. "We have to meet. All of us. At lunch, AV Club."

"Why?" Mike questioned. Dustins respond was instant. "I have something that you won't believe." The group nodded in understanding and Dustin turned back to let Max know as well.

"Dustin!" Mr. Clarke snapped, trying to get the boys attention. Dustin turned back around. "Yes, my lord?" Mr. Clarke continued to stare at him. "Would you care to join the class now?"

Dustin nodded. "Please, yes." Mr. Clarke decided to clue him in on what the class was even talking about. "The case of Phineas Gage." Dustin repeated the teacher. "Phineas Gage."

"Page 104." Mr. Clarke continued. Dustin opened his bag. "104. 104." Mr. Clarke sighed. "Focus." Dustin put his textbook on his desk. "Focusing. Focusing."

Maddie turned her attention back to Mr. Clarke as well, not wanting to be called out as Dustin had been. "And he began to curse, using terrible words that I don't dare repeat here."

DURING LUNCH, THE group met up in the AV room like agreed upon. Dustin had pulled out his fake ghost holder and opened it up, revealing a slimy lizard like creature.

"His name is D'Artagnan." Dustin smiled, grabbing like thing and holding it in his hand. "Cute, right?" He questioned, looking at Lucas. "D'Artagnan?" Mike repeated, not believing what he was hearing. "Dart for short." Dustin replied.

Max looked just as confused. "And he was in your trash?" Dustin nodded. "Foraging for food." Maddie scrunched up her face. "Gross."

Dustin looked at Max. "You wanna hold him?" Her eyes widened instantly. "No, no." Dustin began handing him to her. "He doesn't bite." Max shook her head continuously. "I don't want to—" he put Dart in her hands. "Oh, God, he's slimy!"