14. the return of will byers

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
( the return of will byers )

CHAPTER FOURTEEN ( the return of will byers )

"GUYS, GUYS! THIS is crazy. We can't just wait around." Mike tried, wanting to do something other than sit around the school. Dustin, Lucas, and Maddie all looked at Mike while El sat on the bleacher still, holding her knees to her chest.

Lucas sighed. "Mike, in case you forgot, we're still fugitives. The bad men are still looking for us." Dustin nodded in agreement. "Yeah, and we don't even know where your sister is." Mike looked right back at Dustin, as if the answer was obvious. "El can find them."

Maddie shook her head. "No. No way, Mike. She's exhausted." Dustin agreed completely. "Exactly. Mike, look at her." He pointed towards El. "I still think we should stick to the chiefs plan."

Lucas nodded. "Exactly. We stay here, keep El out of sight and keep her safe. That's the most important thing, remember? Besides, she's okay. She's with Jonathan."

"Yeah, and she's kind of a badass now, so..." Dustin added before he began to walk off. "Well, where are you going? You just said stick to the plan!" Dustin kept walking. "I am. I'm just gonna go get some chocolate pudding. I'm telling you, Lunch Lady Phyllis hoards that shit."

"Are you serious?" Mike yelled back. Dustin sighed. "El needs to be recharged!" Lucas turned towards El and helped her stand, bringing her along with him to follow after Dustin.

Mike just looked at Maddie, flabbergasted by their friends. Maddie shrugged her shoulders before reaching out her hand. "Come on, Wheeler. Might as well go into the cafeteria."

Mike sighed and placed his hand in Maddies, letting her pull him after the rest of their friends.

Once in the cafeteria, Maddie sat across from Mike while Lucas, Dustin, and El looked to recharge Eleven with pudding in the kitchen. "Mike, I found the chocolate pudding!" Dustin screamed.

Maddie laughed a bit while Mike rolled his eyes. "Okay!" He turned to Maddie, a small blush falling onto his cheeks. "Earlier, you came into the Byers house and your eyes were a bit puffy after talking with the chief. You okay?"

Maddie smiled, she always found it sweet how much Mike worried for her. "Yeah, just had a conversation that took way too long to have." Mike nodded, looking down at his feet. "You know you can talk to me, right? Like— you don't have to keep stuff to yourself if you don't want to."

"I know. Thank you. Same for you, I'm always here." Maddie replied. She knew what he was getting at, but she really didn't want to talk about it still. "So, is there anything you want to talk about?" Mike wondered.

Maddie laughed a bit. "I know what you're doing. I'm okay, I promise. If I wasn't you'd be the first to know." Mike frowned and looked at Maddie. "But what about what Troy—" Maddie cut him off. "Talking about that will do more harm than good, trust me. I'm great. We're going to get Will back, we got El back, and I've even been able to reconnect with my uncle a bit. Besides getting chased around by bad men and having a heart attack when you jumped from the quarry, today's been good."