09. the avoided handshake

CHAPTER NINE
( the avoided handshake )

CHAPTER NINE ( the avoided handshake )

MADDIE SAT IN her room that same day. Dustin, Mike, and Maddie had gone looking around for El but with no sign of her, they all headed their separate ways. Maddie hummed to the soft sound of her music playing from her record player. Her dad was no where to be found, so like most days, Maddie had the house to herself.

Maddie continued humming to the music playing, lightly drumming her fingers against her notebook once it was set down on her bed. She tended to write down her feelings into this book. It was a place she could let it all out so she didn't have to deal with it.

Though, Maddie turned her head to the side a bit when the a light from her walkie talkie kept flashing on and off, meaning someone on the other line was talking.

Maddie sped towards her walkie and turned the volume up just to hear Mike screaming. "Maddie, Maddie, Maddie, Maddie, Maddie, Maddie, Maddie, Maddie—" Maddie turned her side on. "Mike! Jesus! Stop, please. I didn't have my volume up, what's up? over."

"Come to my place, now! Over and out." Maddie was a bit shocked by the sudden end of the conversation but quickly packed all she thought she needed in her bag anyways. She hopped out the window and grabbed her bike before biking to mikes quickly.

"I JUST... I can't believe she didn't come back." Mike frowned as he paced back and forth. He was stood in front of Maddie and Dustin explaining his worries for Eleven.

"She's gotta be close." Dustin replied, trying to make Mike and Maddie feel better. Maddie was worried sick. She had no clue where El was or if she was even safe. "She said it wasn't safe. She just messed up the compasses because she wanted to protect us. she didn't betray us." Mike continued, feeling like an asshole for yelling at her.

Maddie nodded. "I agree." Dustin sighed. "Mike, calm down." Mike continued pacing. "I shouldn't have yelled at her. I never should've done that."

"Mike this isn't your fault." Dustin frowned. "Yeah, it's Lucas'." Mike replied. "It wasn't his fault, either." Dustin shot back, shaking his head. Mike quickly stopped pacing and turned fully to Dustin. "It wasn't his fault?"

"no." Dustin replied instantly. Maddie bit her lip in anxiety, she didn't really care who's fault it was. She just wanted to find El. "So you're saying he wasn't way out of line?" Mike countered. Dustin nodded his head. "Totally, but so were you!"

"What?" Mike gasped. Dustin continued. "And so was Eleven." Mike rolled his eyes. "Oh, give me a break!" Dustin looked at Mike annoyed. "No, Mike, you give me a break! All three of you were being a bunch of little assholes! I was the only reasonable one." Mike looked at Dustin confused, he was missing a person. "What about Maddie?"

Maddie gasped. "Don't bring me into this!" Dustin instantly knew his answer. "She was half and half. Half reasonable and half asshole. At least she didn't hit anyone or throw anyone into a wall." Dustin shook his head, that wasn't the point. "But the bottom line is... you pushed first. And you know the rule. you draw first blood..."