04. slammed doors and superpowers

CHAPTER FOUR
( slammed doors and superpowers )

IT HAD TAKEN a while, but Mike had finally come back and given the girls the clear

IT HAD TAKEN a while, but Mike had finally come back and given the girls the clear. While he was gone, Maddie was able to get more trust with El. She could feel their bond growing and knew that El would soon be a good friend.

The trio had left the basement, Mike offering El something to drink as she just ignored him and wandered towards his tv.

"This is my living room. It's mostly just for watching tv. Nice, right? It's a 22-inch." Mike informed. "It's like, ten times bigger than Dustins." He finished.

El quickly became uninterested as she saw Mikes family photo wall. El pointed to the picture of Nancy. "Pretty."

Mike scrunched up his nose. "I guess. That's my sister Nancy." El moved to a picture of Holly. "And that's baby Holly." She then moved to a full family photo. "And those are my parents. What are your parents like? Do they live close?"

El continued to ignore the boy as she walked over to the la-z-boy. Maddie smiled and walked over to el. "That's their la-z-boy. It's super comfortable."

"It's also where my dad sleeps. You can try it if you want." Mike offered politely and El went over to it before taking a seat. Maddie bent down next to the girl with Mike at her side. "Trust me, okay?" El looked at Maddie and nodded before Maddie pulled the side lever, which sent El back when the chair reclined. El let out a small laugh, which made Maddie laugh.

"See? Fun, right?" Mike smiled and maddie pulled El back up. "You try now El." El nodded at the girl before pulling the lever herself and found herself sent back yet again, making the trio all laugh.

The three then made their way up into Mikes room and El began looking around again. She sat at a small table with toys on it when suddenly Mike smacked down his Yoda toy.

"Ready are you? What knows you of ready?" Maddie laughed at Mikes impression but El just stared at him. "His name is Yoda. He can use the force to move things with his mind, like this." Mike then pushed stuff over and made a whooshing noise.

El stood up as Mike began talking about his dinosaur, Rory, Maddie followed behind the girl as she walked up to the trophy stand.

"Oh, these are all my science fair trophies. We got first every year. Except for last year when we got third." Mike explained. "But Mr. Clarke said it was totally political." Maddie nodded in agreement. "Totally political."

El looked at the photo of Dustin, Lucas, Will, Mike, and Maddie holding their 1st place trophy with one of Mikes arms wrapped around Maddies waist as they all smiled. Maddie smiled at the memory, she loved that day.