24. el

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR
( el )

SHOULD I STAY or should I go played from a beatbox Jonathan brought into the shed

SHOULD I STAY or should I go played from a beatbox Jonathan brought into the shed. He sat before Will, staring at him. "Do you remember the first time I played you this? Mom and dad were both arguing in the next room. So I played you the mix tape I made you. And it was the first time you got into music. Real music."

Maddie stepped forward, having a memory between the two. "You taught me how to ride a bike. We spent the whole weekend in your front yard trying to help me figure it out. I just didn't get it and felt so stupid, I wanted to quit so badly but seeing how excited you were made me keep going. And then I did and from there on out we could ride around all the time."

Then it was Mike, who had explained a story that brought a smile to Maddies face. "And then the party escaped into the sewers, and there were those big insect things, and you guys were still on level one. Then you cast Fog Cloud and you saved us. You saved the whole party."

"You saw that little girl and she was in the sandbox and she was crying. You gave her your Tonka Truck and I told you we couldn't afford to buy another one. You said she should have it because she's sad. "She's sad, mommy." I love you so much. So, so much."

Maddie smiled as she watched Wills hand tap away, over and over. But then the phone rang from inside the house. It was fast and then it was gone, but they could hear it from the shed and that one moment allowed for Will to know exactly where he was. His gaze went dark and then his eyes closed, as if he was stuck.

"Hey. Hey, can you hear me?" Joyce questioned in worry. But Hopper bent before Will with a frown. "It knows. It knows where we are." Joyce acted quickly, grabbing another needle and shoving it into Wills arm, causing the boy to pass out again. But Maddie feared it was already too late.

They all ran outside, looking around before a monstrous yell could be heard off in the distance. "Shit." Maddie cursed, moving to run into the house as the others grabbed Will. She was instantly met with everyone else, staring at her in concern. "They're coming."

"Shit, shit, shit!" Dustin cussed, articulating everyone's emotions. Maddie went into panic mode, looking around for anything she could use as protection. She went into a closet to see a wooden bat sat against the wall and instantly grabbed it, heading back towards the living room where everyone was now gathered.

They all got into position, people with weapons standing before the ones who didn't. Hopper looked to Maddie for a moment, instantly against the idea of her being in the front. "Maddie stand back." Maddie sent him a look. "No way in hell, sorry."

She turned away from him again and stared at the door. Mike came up next to her, lamp in hand as protection. "Where are they?" Nancy questioned, holding a gun. It was something Maddie never expected to see, honestly.

No one responded, only hearing another yell in the distance before a loud thudding caused them all to turn towards the noise. "What are they doing?" Nancy questioned, once again not getting an answer.