07. cast shadow walk

CHAPTER SEVEN
( cast shadow walk )

MADISON WALKER WAS sat with Els head laying on her lap as her friends tried to figure out what Will was talking about over the heathkit

"What was Will saying? Like home... like home... but dark?" Mike tried to remember what their friend had said and Lucas quickly noted something else Will had said. "And empty."

"Empty and cold. Wait, did he say cold?" Mike questioned, already forgetting what they had heard. Emotions where running high and memories where becoming faulty. Lucas sighed, getting worked up. "I don't know. The stupid radio kept going in and out." Dustin groaned. "It's like riddles in the dark."

"Like home. Like his house?" Suggested Mike and Lucas looked up. "Or maybe like Hawkins."

"Upside down." Everyone looked to the tired girl who's head rested on Maddie's lap with confused looks. "Upside down?" Maddie repeated looking down at El, who just nodded.

"What'd she say?" Lucas questioned. Maddie realized she had been the only one El said it to. "Upside down." It seemed to click for Mike as he walked towards the game board, which still sat upside down.

Maddie looked at the board and gasped, beginning to piece things together. "When El showed us where Will was, she flipped the board over, remember?" Mike demonstrated the flipping while Dustin and Lucas took their seats next to him. "Upside down. Dark. Empty."

Lucas looked back and forth between Dustin and Maddie. "Do you understand what he's talking about?" Dustin shook his head no while Maddie looked to Lucas. "Yeah i mean think about it. Why would El take us to Wills house?"

Lucas shrugged. "I don't know he wasn't there." Maddie looked at the boy, not understanding how he hasn't seen it yet. "But what if he was? What if we just couldn't see him?"

Mike looked at Maddie, catching onto what she was saying. He realized they had been coming to the same conclusion. "He was in the upside down!" Maddie nodded while Lucas and Dustin look between the two.

Mike continued by flipping the board back to the normal side. "What if this is Hawkins and..." He flipped it back to the dark side. "This is where Will is? The upside down."

Dustins eyes light up as he figured it out more. "Like The Vale of Shadows." The boys looked at each other before Dustin went and grabbed the D&D manual that was at Mikes house. He sat back down and opened it up.

Maddie lifted El head carefully before helping her put it on the couch as she went over to sit with the boys and figure stuff out. Dustin began flipping till he reached the page about The Vale of Shadows. "The Vale of Shadows is a dimension that is a dark reflection or echo of our world."

Mike stared at the board. "An alternate dimension." The kids all looked at each other before Lucas had a question that seemed to slip everyone else's minds. "But... how... how do we get there?"