08. traitors and fists

CHAPTER EIGHT
( traitors and fists )

THE KIDS WERE sat in Mikes basement as he finished explaining what Mr

THE KIDS WERE sat in Mikes basement as he finished explaining what Mr. Clarke had told them by creating a hole in paper with a pencil to El. They had all met back up at Mikes after they all went and changed out of their funeral clothes.

"It would take a lot of energy to build a gate this this. But that's gotta be what happened. Otherwise, how'd Will get there, right?" Mike rhetorically questioned. El nodded. "Right."

"What we want to know is, do you know where the gate is?" Lucas wondered and El shook her head no. "Are you positive?" Maddie tried, hoping El would miraculously remember something, but she was met by a nod indicating El had no clue.

"Then how do you know about the upside down?" Lucas snapped angrily, raising his voice a bit while Mike and Maddie just looked at El who looked down at the attention. Maddie placed her hand on Els, letting the girl know it was okay.

Mike then turned to Dustin, who was a bit away from the group pacing back and forth with something in his hand. Lucas followed Mikes gaze and looked to Dustin just as confused. Mike lightly nudged Maddie, causing her to also turn her head towards their curly haired friend.

Mike sighed. "Dustin what are you doing? Dustin? Dustin!" Lucas rolled his eyes. "Dustin!" Dustin shot his head towards his friends quickly, confusion and worry on his face. "I... I need to see your compasses."

"What?" Mike questioned confused. Maddie tilted her head to the side a bit, the request was a bit random. Dustin sighed, annoyed they all weren't just grabbing what he wanted. "Your compasses. All of your compasses, right now!"

Maddies eyes widened at Dustins attitude. "Wow, okay." Mike made eye contact with Maddie before they both looked to Lucas weirdly, who sent back the same look. They all then headed in different directions to where their compasses where.

Maddie went into her bag and digged around a bit, grabbing her compass. She put it down on the table in front of Dustin right as Mike and Lucas did the same with all of their compasses. She had to hold back her laugh at how many the two boys really had.

"What's exciting about this?" Mike questioned. Dustin just looked at him. "Well, they're all facing north, right?"

"Yeah, so?" Lucas wondered and Maddie stared at the compasses. "Well, that's not true North." maddie looked at dustin confused. "Wait, what?" She didn't think that North could just change. Mike frowned. "What do you mean?"

"I mean exactly what i just said. That's not true North." Dustin sassed and the other three look at each other confused. Dustin looked between the threes confused looks, shocked none of them had figured it out yet. "Are you three seriously this dense?"