12. the talk

CHAPTER TWELVE
( the talk )

THE GROUP HAD been sitting around the old bus

THE GROUP HAD been sitting around the old bus. They didn't know where else to go. As Mike had said, they were fugitives now. Maddie had her head on Mike's shoulder, looking forwards at the ground.

She hadn't thought anything of it, but he was trying not to move so she wouldn't have a reason to leave. No one was talking, they were all far too anxious and worried.

"Mike, are you there? Mike?" Maddie suddenly heard. She lifted her head up, looking around as Dustin looked at them all. "You guys hear that?" It was coming from the walkie. "Mike, it's me, Nancy."

Mike went into his backpack, digging around before pulling out the walkie. "Mike, are you there? Answer. Mike we need you to answer." The group all crowded together around Mike. "Is that your sister?" Lucas questioned. Nancy never tried to contact Mike, so it was extremely weird.

"This is an emergency, Mike. Do you copy? Mike, do you copy?" Nancy's voice yet again questioned. Dustin looked at Mike. "Okay, this is really weird." Lucas grabbed the walkie from Mike's hand, but he quickly snatched it right back. "Don't answer."

"She said it was an emergency." Lucas replied and Maddie once again began hearing the sound of a helicopter souring above. "What if it's a trick?" Mike countered. Lucas shook his hands in front of his face. "It's your sister!"

Mike countered once more. "What if the bad people kidnapped her? What if they're forcing her to say this?" Lucas didn't reply, he hadn't thought of that. "I need you to answer."

Dustin gasped. "It's like Lando Calrissian. Don't answer." Maddie scrunched her eyebrows together, she didn't know who that was. "We need to know that you're there, Mike." Nancy's voice yet again begged.

But then a new voice could be heard. "Listen, kid, this is the chief. If you're there, pick up. We know you're in trouble and we know about the girl." Maddies eyes widened at the sound of her uncles voice. She made eye contact with Mike, who looked at her confused. "Why is she with the chief?" Lucas wondered.

"How the hell does he know about..." Dustin mumbled lightly, looking at El. That part confused Maddie as well, along with the rest of what they were now finding out.

"We can protect you, we can help you, but you gotta pick up. Are you there? Do you copy? Over." Maddies uncle once again breathed out. The kids just looked between each other. "Maddie, if you're there... please. One of you pick up."

Maddies eyes widened, she hadn't expected him to address her. Mike turned to Maddie, he wanted her thoughts. "What should we do?" Dustin, El, and Lucas then all turned to Maddie. She knew the chief the best and would have the best idea on who he was as a person. Whether he'd help them or betray them.

"It's your call." Lucas added. Maddie bit her lip. She sat there for a second before catching Mikes eye and nodding. "Answer."

Mike nodded, pressing the button on the side of the walkie. "Yeah, I copy. It's Mike. I'm here. We're here."