17. halloween

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
( halloween )

MADDIE HAD DECIDED to wait until Halloween actually started to put on her costume

MADDIE HAD DECIDED to wait until Halloween actually started to put on her costume. She didn't feel like wearing the bright blue dress or mask or doing her hair until later that night.

She had decided to go as Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, but wanted to add a bit of style to it. So she found a white mask that was always found in those cheesy movies where it only covered the girls eyes but somehow the boy never knows it was her and added it to her costume. Along with a white fuzzy jacket incase she got cold, white fishnet stockings, and matching fishnet gloves to go with it.

She was extremely proud of her costume, but she would not be walking around all day in it when she could save it for when Halloween actually started. So instead, her costume was folded in her bag, just waiting for school to end.

But the boys had gone with a different approach. Maddie smiled as she biked up to them, seeing them all wearing their ghost busters costume. Mike looked at Maddie shocked. "Woah, woah, woah. Where's your costume?"

Maddie skidded to a halt, putting her bike on the rack next to her friends bikes. She shrugged a bit. "Didn't feel like wearing it to school. I want to save the experience for when Halloween actually starts."

Dustin pointed his finger at her. "You're so lame. So, so very lame." Maddie laughed a bit, she was fine with that. "I'd rather be lame than uncomfortable all day."

Lucas sighed. "Okay, whatever. Help settle a debate for us, okay? Should I have to be Winston, even though I never agreed to it and he's super lame... or should Mike just get over it?" Mike scoffed. "Woah! You're forgetting to remind her that we planned this months ago."

"And I didn't agree to Winston!" Lucas replied, annoyed. Both boys turned to Maddie and her eyes widened. "Uh... I guess I don't understand why you both can't be Venkman." Will nodded. "That's what I said."

Mike shook his head. "It goes back to what I pointed out. We planned this months ago! I'm Venkman, Dustin's Stantz, Will is Egon, and Lucas is Winston." Lucas groaned. "I specifically didn't agree to Winston."

"Yes, you did!" Mike shouted back. Will thought back for a moment. "I don't think he did." Maddie chuckled quietly at that. She didn't remember Lucas agreeing to it either, but she wanted to watch this play out.

Lucas sighed. "No one wants to be Winston, man." Mike just stared at Lucas. "What's wrong with Winston?" Lucas looked at him like he was an idiot. "What's wrong with Winston? He joined the team super late, he's not funny, and he's not even a scientist!" Mike tried to defend the character once more. "Yeah, but he's still cool."

"If he's cool, then you be Winston." Lucas offered. Mike sighed, looking up. "I can't!" Lucas looked at him, straight faced. "Why not?" Mike tried to think of a reason besides the obvious one. "Because..." Lucas began mocking Mike. "B-b-b-because you're not black?"