20. the byers residence

CHAPTER TWENTY
( the byers residence )

MADDIE STOOD NEXT to Mike outside the Byers residence

MADDIE STOOD NEXT to Mike outside the Byers residence. Mike turned to Maddie slightly and she gave him a small smile in reassurance, which seemed to be enough for Mike to knock on the door. "Hello? Will! Mrs. Byers?"

The door slowly opened, Mrs. Byers now standing before the two. "Hey." Mike sighed, happy to know the house wasn't empty. Joyce smiled. "Hey, Mike. Maddie." Mike took a step closer. "Is Will here?"

"You know what? Now is not a really good time." Joyce responded, trying to go back inside. "Is he okay?" Mike questioned, not letting her go that easily. Joyce sighed, stepping out of the house and shutting the door behind herself. "Yeah. You know, he's... he's just not feeling real well. He's laying down, so I'll tell him you both stopped by, okay?"

She had walked the kids away from the door and began back towards it herself. Maddie frowned. "Mrs. Byers, wait." She turned around, looking towards the two kids. Mike made eye contact with Maddie and when she nodded, he looked back at the older woman before them. "It's about the shadow monster, isn't it?"

Joyce froze for a moment, just looking at the two. And then she sighed, opening the door. "Come inside."

Both kids eagerly did as told, happy to be able to go in and see Will. But the house itself was a shock to see. There where drawings, everywhere.

They where taped to the walls and floors, spreading from room to room almost connected. It was as if everything went together. Maddie traced her fingertips on one of the pages that had been taped down to a small table by the couch, looking down at the mix of blues and blacks on the page.

"What... is all this?" Maddie questioned slowly, looking towards Joyce. She sighed. "We, uh, we aren't entirely sure just yet."

Mike looked towards Joyce as well. "We?" She nodded. "Yeah. Me and, uh, Hopper and I." Maddie's eyes widened. "Hopper?" She hadn't seen her uncle in the last few days and had been beginning to get worried. Hopper had made the young girl promise they wouldn't go a while without even a phone call, so, it was especially weird when she had tried to call in the last few days just to get no response.

She had even tried the sheriffs office, but no luck.

Joyce nodded. "Yeah, Hopper. He left a little bit before you two got here actually." Then she sort of turned into herself. "He said he'd be back by now, actually..."

"What?" Maddie questioned, a bit panicked. Joyce just chuckled, trying to hide the fact that she too was now panicking. "How about you two go talk to Will and I'll see if I can catch Hopper, okay? I bet he's fine. You guys go."

Mike gave Joyce a small smile, ushering Maddie away and towards Wills room. "I bet he's fine, Maddie. Don't worry." Maddie nodded. "Yeah, you're right. Let's just— let's just focus on Will."