Chapter 17: The Removal of All Pains

"Brandon, what are you doing here?", Jenn asks.

"You don't like that I'm here?", Brandon says slanting his eyebrows.

"No, I love that you're here", Jenn says leaning in for a hug, "I just want to know why?".

Brandon hugs her back then gives her a kiss.

"Well I was starting to really miss you for one, but more importantly strange things are happening in Freeland", Brandon says.

"What's going on in Freeland", Jenn asks.

"I'll explain everything to you soon, but first", Brandon says reaching down and picking up two suitcases, "I need a place to sleep".

"Oh, well I'm sure Bruce won't mind another guest", Jenn replies.

She steps out of the way and let's Brandon in. He comes in and sits his suitcases on the floor and begins looking around.

"Wow, this house is incredible", Brandon says, "No wonder, you won't come back to Freeland"

"I won't come back to Freeland, until Khalil comes with me", Jenn replies.

"Oh, you're still on that!", Brandon says sarcastically.

"Still on what?", Jenn asks a little annoyed.

"I mean, why does it matter, whether Khalil comes back or not, he's doing the right thing by staying away", Brandon says.

"I'll have you know, Khalil is here in the mansion", Jenn says.

"So he fixed his Painkiller problem?", Brandon asks.

"He's actually in the process of removing it now", Jenn says.

"Oh wow, well where's the others?", Brandon asks.

"Oh right, hold on", Jenn says walking to the edge of the staircase, "Anissa, Dionte, Look who's here".

After a few seconds, Anissa and Dionte come to the top of the stairs.

"Oh hey Brandon", Anissa says smiling, "We've missed you, is Grace with you?"

"Uh, no, she decided not to come", Brandon says nervously.

"Oh that's too bad", Anissa says.

"What's up bro?", Dionte says reaching the bottom step, "Taking care of our apartment".

"It's my apartment, you just live there", Brandon jokes.

"I'll take that as a no", Dionte replies.

Suddenly, someone clears their throat from up the stairs. They look up and it's Bruce.

"Who may this be?", Bruce asks.

"Oh this is Brandon, A member of our Team back in Freeland.

"Pleasure to meet you sir", Brandon says shaking Bruce's hand.

"Will you be staying with us tonight?", Bruce asks.

"Yes sir, if that's okay", Brandon replies.

"That is fine, I'll have Alfred clear a room for you", Bruce says.

"Actually Alfred is kind of busy, about to remove Khalil's Painkiller", Jenn replies, "And if you guy's don't mind, we should be there for support".

"Are you sure, I mean Khalil's strong, he can handle this, and plus I thought you wanted to know what's happening in Freeland", Brandon says.

"No, Jenn's right, we should get in there, we'll discuss what's happening in Freeland later", Anissa says walking to the Batcave.

Everyone follows her. When they get to the lowest level, Khalil is laying on a table, which is hanging over a bucket of Ice and Water. He sits up when he notices them walk in.

"Brandon?", Khalil says confused.

"Wassup Khalil", Brandon says.

"What brings you here?", Khalil asks.

"Just needed a break from Freeland and missed you guys", Brandon says.

"Well I'm glad you're here", Khalil says laying back, "I'm glad all of you are here".

"Always", Dionte states.

Alfred walks up in a lab coat. 

"If you don't mind, I'll like to start now, can you guys back up behind the screen", Alfred says.

They start to move behind the screen.

"Everybody except Dionte", Alfred suggests.

"Me, why me?", Dionte asks.

"Well, to do the operation Khalil has to be near dead, so I will be dipping him in this Ice Water, to lower his body temp, but to do the operation I have to be able to touch his body so that's where you come in, you keep his body cool with our Ice Powers, while I operate on him", Alfred says

"Ok, but what if I can't keep him cool?", Dionte asks.

"Then Khalil will wake up and the operation would fail", Alfred says.

Dionte takes a deep breath.

"Okay, Let's do it", Dionte says.

Alfred nods and walks over to a control panel and flips on some switches. Machines turn on and a case revealing the Proton Rings opens up. He turns and looks at Khalil.

"Ready?", Alfred asks.

Khalil nods. Alfred walks up to him and straps him to the table, then turns back to the panel and presses a button, the table holding Khalil begins lowering into the ice. Khalil begins shaking, then after a few minutes he stops moving. Everyone stares nervously. Alfred looks at his bpm and Khalil has flatlined. He quickly flips the switch back. Khalil rises back up.

"Now", Alfred says to Dionte. 

Dionte quickly walks up and begins slowly cooling Khalil's body. Alfred reaches in the box and pulls out the Mind Ring. 

"Mind Ring", Alfred says placing it on Khalil's head. 

Khalil body jerks and black smoke comes out of his mouth. Alfred grabs the Soul Ring.

"Soul Ring", Alfred says placing it on Khalil's heart.

Khalil's body jerks again and releases more black smoke. Alfred grabs the Body ring.

"Body Ring", Alfred says placing it on Khalil's lower body.

Once again Khalil's body jerks, and releases more smoke.

"Alfred hurry, my powers can't cool him off much longer, I'm getting dehydrated", Dionte says.

Alfred quickly grabs the Air Ring.

"Air Ring", Alfred says putting it on Khalil's throat.

Khalil's body Jerks harder this time and releases more smoke, now smoke fills the air over him. Dionte's powers begin to fade.

"Alfred Hurry!", Dionte yells.

Alfred grabs the Blood Ring and tries to place it on Khalil. But Dionte falls to the ground. Causing Khalil to burst out of the straps and Grab the proton ring in Alfred's hand. The impact blows everyone surrounding him into the wall. When they regain their balance they stand up and Khalil is standing full clothed in an all white combat suit.

"Did it work?", Jenn asks.

"I don't know?", Khalil asks closing his eyes.

When he opens them back up he starts smiling.

"It worked!", Khalil says.

"Or did it?", Anissa asks, looking off into the distance.

Everyone turns and looks at what she is looking at. The cloud that Khalil was coughing up swirls around in a circle, then begins forming a body. Suddenly the black smoke disperses, and a Khalil look a like stands dressed in an all black combat suit.

"Khalil?", Jenn says confused.

"Nah, it's Painkiller, glad I could meet you in person", Painkiller says.

Everyone stares wide eyed.