Chapter 19: Yin and Yang

The next morning, Bruce gathers everyone in the dining hall for Brunch. He has layed out an entire 4 course breakfast at the table. Everyone sits around the table confused, even Alfred. 

"Uh, is anyone else wondering why we're all here?", Anissa asks.

"I'm more concerned with why we have orange juice, in champagne glasses", Jenn jokes. 

"I'm sure Mr. Wayne will explain everything when he gets down", Alfred says.

Everyone continues to mingle.

Jenn looks over at Khalil, who looks a little better after going to sleep last night.

"You alright?", Jenn asks.

"Yeah, I'm good", Khalil says grunting.

Brandon puts his hand on Jenn's leg. Jenn turns to look at him then puts her hand on top of his, holding his hand. After a few minutes Bruce comes down stairs holding a champagne glass of Orange Juice.

"So what's with the elaborate Brunch?", Jenn asks.

"I just felt like you guy's could use a break", Bruce says.

"We needed a break since we got in Gotham", Jenn jokes.

"Exactly, between saving Khalil's behind twice, to saving Jenn's behind, to tracking down each and every one of the Proton Rings, we needed a break last year", Anissa jokes.

"Exactly, so tell us what this is really for", Jenn says.

"In do time", Bruce says, "For now, just enjoy this breakfast I had the cooks prepare us".

"You don't have to tell me twice", Dionte says.

"Me either", Brandon says digging in, "I wasn't even here for the chaos.

Bruce laughs. For about an hour, everyone eats and socializes, smiling and having fun without a care in the world. Every so often Khalil gets up from the table to go to the bathroom, to cough up more black dust. Finally after everyone is full and happy. Bruce stands up tapping a knife on his champagne glass. Everyone turns and stares in confusion.

"If you may, pick up your champagne glass and toast with me", Bruce says.

Everyone picks up there glass.

"Toast to what?", Dionte asks.

"To everyone", Bruce starts, "You guy's have been one of the most amazing teams I have ever worked with, We had a task to do, and we completed it, yes there may have been setbacks, but it's nothing we couldn't solve".

"If this is your way of kicking us out just say that", Anissa jokes.

Everyone begins laughing.

"I'm not putting you out just yet, but I do want to celebrate the 4 of you", Bruce says, "So join me in toasting to the core four, Team Painkiller, In completing there mission". 

"Aww Bruce that's so nice, but I will never be apart of Team Painkiller, that just sounds weird", Jenn jokes.

"Well to "Gotham's Finest", Bruce says.

Everyone except Khalil laughs and cheers. 

"C'mon Khalil aren't you happy?", Dionte says, "You finally got rid of your Painkiller".

He looks at Jenn, who nods. He then stands up almost falling over.

"Woah Khalil, are you alright", Anissa asks.

"No, I'm not alright, I'm dying okay", Khalil says.

"What, what are you talking about?", Bruce asks, "Alfred what is he talking about?"

Alfred shrugs his shoulders.

"I've been having side effects, ever since the procedure", Khalil starts.

"Okay and we established that this was just your body getting rid of the remainder Painkiller", Alfred says.

"But it's not", Khalil starts, "I didn't want to say anything because I didn't want you guys worrying but I've been coughing up black dust, and it's making me more and more weak, and I can feel my body slipping away".

"Khalil this something you should have told us, we could have helped you", Anissa says.

"How, do you have healing powers, do you have powers to stop the side effects", Khalil says.

"No but.....", Anissa starts.

"But nothing, I'm dying, and that's the end of it", Khalil says.

Everyone falls silent.

"Before we jump to conclusions, let me run some test on you", Alfred says.

Khalil hesitates then nods in Agreement. Alfred gets up from the table and walks into the Batcave. Khalil following, Bruce stands up and follows them as well. Anissa flares her nose and looks at Jenn.

"Did you know this was happening?", Anissa asks.

"Actually yes", Jenn says.

"And you didn't say anything", Anissa asks.

"It wasn't my place to tell", Jenn says, "I wanted to come to y'all and fill y'all in, but that's news Khalil should tell, not me".

Anissa gets up from the table, and walks into the Batcave. Dionte gets up and follows. Jenn sighs and looks over at Brandon, who fiddles with the power inhibitor bracelet. 

"Is that a new bracelet?", Jenn asks.

"Uh, yeah, your dad gave it to me", Brandon says.

"So you got in good with my dad?", Jenn says.

"Something like that", Brandon says.

Jenn stares at him confused. Brandon quickly tries to change the subject.

"Come on, let's go make sure everything's good with Khalil", Brandon states.

"Oh yeah", Jenn says standing up and walking with him to the Batcave.

When they enter the Batcave, Khalil is back on the operation table. Alfred is scanning his body with a x-ray machine. Jenn walks up and stares at Khalil's body as well.

"That's weird!", Alfred says.

"What?", Khalil asks.

"Your Blood Cells", Alfred starts, "They're turning..."

"Black!". Jenn says finishing his sentence.

"How do you know that?", Alfred asks.

"My powers allow me to see the energy particles in people body's, and while looking at Khalil's someone of them are fading away", Jenn says

"Is there anything we can do to prevent this?", Bruce asks.

"Not that I know of Master Wayne", Alfred says.

"I know a way", Dionte starts, "We have to return Painkiller back to Khalil's body".

"What no, why would we do that?", Anissa asks.

"Painkiller is a part of Khalil's anger and rage, He has always been apart of him, The ASA just advanced it to become and ultimate killing machine. Painkiller is the Yin to his Yang. Without Painkiller, Khalil is and will always be emotionally and physically in pain, hence the constant negative comments he makes, and the coughing up Black Dust",  Dionte says.

"I hate to say it, but Dionte is right", Alfred says.

"So what do we do?", Anissa asks.

"We track down Painkiller, and return him into Khalil's body", Bruce says.

"I guess Team Painkiller, has one final mission", Anissa says, "Find Painkiller"

They exchange nervous looks.