Chapter 18: Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Painkiller

"Nah, it's Painkiller, glad I could meet you in person", Painkiller says.

Everyone stares wide eyed.

"What, how?", Anissa asks. 

"I never got to place the Blood Ring on Khalil because he woke up, meaning the cloud never went back in his body to die", Alfred says.

"Meaning you only removed the Painkiller and didn't kill it", Anissa says.

"Meaning, Here I am, and unlike nice boy over there, I will actually fall through with my plans", Painkiller says taking out his sword.

"Meaning I'm not standing around and letting that happen", Jenn says stepping in front everybody.

She makes a lightning ball in her hand and throws it at Painkiller, who holds the sword in front of him and catches the lightning ball. Jenn throws 5 more and the same thing happens. She stares confused. 

"What is happening", Jenn asks.

"This is Khalil's angrier side, he's more powerful and better skilled.", Alfred states.

"Thanks for the compliment", Painkiller says walking up to Jenn.

Anissa quickly walks in front of Jenn, and Thunder claps, sending him flying in to the wall.

"I don't care how much more skilled he is, he can't beat all of us", Anissa says.

Painkiller grits his teeth and stands up. 

"You're right, but we will meet again", Painkiller says turning in to a dark cloud and flying out of the Batcave.

Everyone stares in shock. Dionte finally regains consiciousnes.

"Did we do it?", He asks.

Anissa takes a deep breath and walks out of the Batcave.

Later that night, Everyone except Bruce and Alfred sit in Anissa room. 

"So run this by me again", Dionte starts, "Khalil got his Painkiller removed, but didn't eliminate it, so it formed a body, and is now roaming the streets of Gotham".

"Yes, and we have no clue where he could be", Anissa says.

"Stop saying he, it's not a living form", Khalil says.

"It is now, because you just had to go through with this operation, I thought you we're working to control this", Jenn says.

"I was working, but obviously, it wasn't working because he resurfaced", Khalil says getting a little annoyed. 

Jenn stands up.

"It was one mistake, we're allowed to have one mistake, you just can't take the pressure of having to actually work for something", Jenn says.

Khalil stands up.

"Pressure?", Khalil asks, "The same pressure you run away from every time a mission is too dangerous". 

Jenn mouth drops open.

"Enough Khalil", Anissa says.

"I mean honestly Jenn, you constantly come for others when we don't do what you think is right, but what you think is right is flawed by your fear, a mission is too dangerous, you back down, a mission isn't planned right, you back down", Khalil says, "So excuse me for trying to take the easy way out, even though you do that, every chance you get".

Everyone stares silently. Khalil quickly covers his mouth after realizing what he just said.

"From where I stand, it seems like Khalil is who flew out the Batcave, and Painkiller is standing here in front of me", Jenn says turning and walking out.

"Jenn", Khalil tries to say.

"Save it", Brandon interrupts, "You've said enough".

He gets up and follows Jenn out of the room.

"Why did I say that?", Khalil says confused.

"I don't know but it wasn't cool", Dionte says getting up and walking out.

Khalil turns and looks at Anissa, who shrugs her shoulders and walks in to the bathroom. Khalil walks out of Anissa's room and into the Batcave but before he gets through the door a sharp pain goes through his lower abdomen. He crouches down to the ground holding on to his stomach. He then begins coughing into his hands and black dust is left on them. He stares at them for a minute, then walks into the Batcave. Alfred is cleaning up the stuff from the procedure.

"Alfred, I think somethings wrong", Khalil says.

"Besides the fact that your evil doppelganger just escaped from your body and on to the streets of Gotham and we have no idea where he could be?", Alfred asks.

"Can't you stop being so sarcastic, and just listen to me?, You're not as funny as you think", Khalil yells.

Alfred stares in confusion. Khalil quickly covers his mouth. 

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it, I think this operation had some side effects", Khalil says.

"I would think so, since we didn't actually complete the procedure", Alfred replies, "What kinds of side effects?"

"Well I literally say every negative thought in my mind", Khalil says.

"Oh that's not a side effect, that's your body trying to get all of the negative parts that Painkiller had, out of your system", Alfred says.

"Well how long until it's out", Khalil asks.

"There's no telling", Alfred says.

"Good to know", Khalil says.

"Are there anymore side effects I should know about?", Alfred asks.

Khalil looks down at his hand covered in black dust and sticks it in his pocket.

"Uh, no, that's it", Khalil says.

"Ok well let me know if anything changes?", Alfred says.

"Will do!", Khalil says going back to his room.

Later that night Jenn wakes up out of her sleep and goes to the bathroom. After leaving the bathroom, she hears someone coughing in one of the rooms. She enters it to see Khalil crouched down on the floor coughing up black dust into a towel. His body is weak and he has dark rings around his eyes.

"Khalil, oh my god, what is happening, you look terrible", Jenn says rushing over beside him. 

"I'm fine Jenn, it's just a side effect from the procedure", Khalil says.

"Side effect?", Jenn asks.

"Yeah, I've been having a few side effects since I got the painkiller removed", Khalil replies.

"What kind of side effects?", Jenn asks. 

"Well for one,  I've been saying every negative thing in my body, Alfred says it's my body trying to get the rest of the Painkiller out", Khalil says.

"So when you called me out earlier, it was the start of your side effects", Jenn asks.

"Yes, and I'm so sorry Jenn, I didn't mean what I said, please forgive me", Khalil says.

"Why, everything you said was true whether I want to admit it or not, I am scared, and that's what makes me react most of the time, my fear", Jenn says.

"Yeah, but it was wrong for me to call you out on it, in front of everybody", Khalil states.

"Yeah, that was a little embarrassing, but what you're going through is much worse, what did Alfred say about the coughing up black dust ", Jenn asks.

"He didn't say anything, because I didn't tell him", Khalil replies.

"What why not?", Jenn asks.

"Because I'm scared to hear the truth", Khalil replies.

"Which is?", Jenn asks.

"I'm dying Jenn", Khalil says.

Jenn closes her eyes and lays on Khalil shoulder.