Chapter 14

"How are things holding up between you and Kawaki?" Sarada couldn't help but ask when they were about to leave the forest.

Boruto's shoulder tensed, not expecting her sudden question but continued walking past the massive trees and roots. The crunching sound of dried leaves and fallen branches with each step they took reached his ears.

"What do you think?" he asked, his tone laced with slight fervor at the mention of his brother's name.

The scene between Kawaki and Sarada- laughing and talking at the classroom yesterday instantly resurfaced. He was trying so hard to burry the vivid image of the two laughing and seemingly enjoying a conversation deep within his mind, in hopes that he could forget it but it seems like his efforts were no good.

Weirdly enough, it inspired a bitter feeling in his gut and he still doesn't quite understand why.

"Oh, then are you still mad at him for borrowing one of your belongings without your permission?" Sarada questioned.

Golden brows furrowed at her question. Boruto doesn't have a clue how she ended up with such conclusion but he guesses that Kawaki was the one who told Sarada such thing.

That wasn't the case tho. Because the truth was that the reason for their dispute was something much serious and deeper than that.

Although he cannot tell her, so Boruto didn't bother correcting what she thought was the reason for his anger towards his adoptive brother.

He suddenly wondered if she even knew Kawaki wasn't his brother by blood.

"I don't wanna talk about it..." He said, voice firm and with a tone that says 'drop the subject'.

"Sorry..."

He can hear the guilt in her voice as she slowly quieted causing a heavy silence looming over them. Both weighing the sudden change of the once amiable atmosphere.

A sigh escaped from Boruto's lips as a wave of regret washed over him.

"I don't wanna talk to him unless he realizes what he'd done wrong," was his answer. He just hopes what he said was enough to make her drop the topic.

After all, the last thing he wants is for them to talk about Kawaki while walking together.

"Then I'll take that as you implying that you both haven't made up yet."

Sarada watched Boruto's back, waiting for a hum, or a nod, maybe a simple 'yes' but nothing came. Realizing that Boruto's silence meant the topic was something he doesn't want to touch made her pursed her lips to suppress the many questions racing in her mind, waiting to be let out and answered.

Maybe there's another time for that.

She thought.

A few minutes have passed without anyone saying a word, until Boruto's curiosity got into him causing him to say what he was thinking out loud.

"You ate dinner with Kawaki last night..."

It was supposed to be a question but it ended up sounding like a statement. Unbeknownst to the pair, Boruto caught the two talking outside of the dorms in the middle of the night.

He was about to get some fresh air when he noticed Kawaki and Sarada's familiar built from outside the huge glass windows on the hallway.

He immediately hid beside the wall, leaving only half of his face to see what they were doing. He watched in silence as the blackette turned her back to return to her own room, his eyes narrowing at the smile that appeared on Kawaki's face after.