Chapter 16

"Thanks... I guess," Sarada kept her gaze at Boruto's forehead as she suddenly felt ashamed to somehow look him in the eye even though they were staring at each other seconds before.

"Hmm"

The blond only hummed in response as he watched Sarada closed the door to the faculty office. His mouth pursed in an almost pout like manner when he realized that she haven't looked him in the eye since they left the classroom. He wondered if she felt shy now but he didn't let himself dwell on that idea, thinking it's too good to be true.

Was there ever a time when she shied away from him? There were times when she would avoid his calculating stare but that's because he's probably annoying her.

The walk from the office to the cafeteria would take approximately a good three minutes or so. And the thought of not having a single conversation in that span of time bothered the young Uzumaki so he took the liberty and opened his mouth to speak.

"You didn't show up yesterday," he said vaguely but he was positive that she caught on to what he's trying to say.

He watched her carefully, taking interest at the way her obsidian eyes widened and the hitched of her breath. Boruto narrowed his eye, still solely looking at her face. He realized that she doesn't plan to even throw him a glance so he averted his eye instead and looked ahead.

"I had something to do back at my room yesterday... uhm, I did a general cleaning and fell asleep after, so..." she trailed off, like that was enough reason to not push the agenda further.

"Hmm," so he hummed again, even though there's a nagging feeling inside his head telling him that Sarada was hiding something.

Boruto let a few seconds of complete silence to engulf them. He let himself get lost by the almost rhythmic sound of their steps, accompanied by his steady heartbeat.

He can feel his throat itching to say something so he let himself ask the question that's been racing in his mind for awhile now.

"Then will you come later?"

"Huh?" This time, Sarada quickly whipped her head to meet his gaze.

He immediately saw the slight panic in her eyes although it quickly vanished as if it was never there in the first place.

Sarada chewed on her bottom lip as she averted her gaze from him to her shoes.

There was a gnawing feeling of anticipation at the pit of his stomach when she didn't give him an answer. Somehow, repeating the same question felt difficult because of the sudden dryness of his throat but he still did anyways.

Boruto cleared his throat to rid of the sand like texture of his tongue. "Will you come later? At the forest..."

If Sarada would still not give him an answer then he wouldn't ask thrice and would just drop the subject to take it as a sign that she's not interested.

Silence. Complete utter silence until a pleasant, almost blissful, sound filled his ears and he only realized that she was giggling when he turned to look at her face.

"Why the sudden interest?" She asked afterwards, a devilish smirk forming on her roseate lips as her eyes swirled with mischief. "Did you miss me?"

Boruto kissed his teeth, suddenly feeling the tips of his ear heat up at her playful confidence. He wasn't expecting her to say something so bold since her initial reaction were always an annoyed remark or a roll of her eyes.

His heart was beating weirdly again. Poking the inside of his cheek with tongue, he closed his lips in a tight line before throwing his own act of boldness.